West was reinstated after a Tuesday afternoon meeting with coach Rick Carlisle and president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson.
“Back on track,” Nelson said in a text message.
Sources told ESPNDallas.com that West’s suspension stemmed from an outburst in the locker room after the Mavs’ 123-104 preseason win Monday over the Houston Rockets. He had two points, two assists and one rebound in 16 minutes during the win.
Carlisle said Tuesday afternoon that he hoped the situation with West would be resolved quickly. West will rejoin the team for the Wednesday shootaround and will be available for the Mavs’ preseason game against the Phoenix Suns, Carlisle said Tuesday evening.
West, an eight-year veteran who has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, was a key role player in his first season in Dallas last year. He averaged 9.6 points and 3.2 assists and provided tenacious defense at both guard positions.
Carlisle lobbied for West, who signed another one-year deal this summer, to return to Dallas. Carlisle has said many times how much he appreciates West’s competitive spirit, even though it can occasionally cross the line.
“I love him as a kid,” Carlisle said a couple of weeks ago. “I love the fact that he faces challenges day to day and he meets them head on and he’s honest. He and I talk a lot. It’s a relationship that isn’t always smelling like roses, but we manage to grow because we’re talking all the time.
“It’s important that I always hear what he has to say because he’s a knowledgeable guy. Sometimes he’s got to listen to me. Sometimes he’s not crazy about it, but that’s just the way it is.”
- Joined ESPNDallas.com in September 2009
- Covers the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Mavericks
- Appears regularly on ESPN Dallas 103.3 FM
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- What to watch for as the Mavericks host the Cavs
- Mavericks hold on to force fourth-straight loss for Irving, Nets
- Photos: Mavs vs Nets (May 6, 2021)
- Five realistic free agents Dallas should consider post-draft
- NFL Draft Review: How much potential does Wright have to contribute?
- What to watch for as the Mavs look to knock off the Nets
- Getting to know the Dallas Cowboys third round picks: Osa Odighizuwa, Chauncey Golston and Nashon Wright
- NFL Draft Review: Golston gives size, length to remolded defense
- Three takeaways from the Mavericks big win over the Heat
- NFL Draft Review: Odighizuwa can be disruptive for interior line