West was reinstated after a Tuesday afternoon meeting with coach Rick Carlisle and president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson.
“Back on track,” Nelson said in a text message.
Sources told ESPNDallas.com that West’s suspension stemmed from an outburst in the locker room after the Mavs’ 123-104 preseason win Monday over the Houston Rockets. He had two points, two assists and one rebound in 16 minutes during the win.
Carlisle said Tuesday afternoon that he hoped the situation with West would be resolved quickly. West will rejoin the team for the Wednesday shootaround and will be available for the Mavs’ preseason game against the Phoenix Suns, Carlisle said Tuesday evening.
West, an eight-year veteran who has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, was a key role player in his first season in Dallas last year. He averaged 9.6 points and 3.2 assists and provided tenacious defense at both guard positions.
Carlisle lobbied for West, who signed another one-year deal this summer, to return to Dallas. Carlisle has said many times how much he appreciates West’s competitive spirit, even though it can occasionally cross the line.
“I love him as a kid,” Carlisle said a couple of weeks ago. “I love the fact that he faces challenges day to day and he meets them head on and he’s honest. He and I talk a lot. It’s a relationship that isn’t always smelling like roses, but we manage to grow because we’re talking all the time.
“It’s important that I always hear what he has to say because he’s a knowledgeable guy. Sometimes he’s got to listen to me. Sometimes he’s not crazy about it, but that’s just the way it is.”
- Joined ESPNDallas.com in September 2009
- Covers the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Mavericks
- Appears regularly on ESPN Dallas 103.3 FM
- Stars trade down, select Wyatt Johnston No. 23 overall
- Rangers are getting a look at Curtis Terry, but who plays second base?
- Season Outlook: What will it take for Prescott to win MVP in 2021?
- Dallas Cowboys training camp news: Elliott’s new physique shows increased motivation for 2021
- Smith, Vander Esch headline most intriguing position group to watch
- Oxnard Press Conference: Prescott slated to be a full go for training camp
- Rangers trying to find any way possible out of their current slump
- Hoops Tank: Kidd/Harrison first impressions and naming former Mavs on recent championship teams
- Dallas Stars Fanatic Podcast: Heiskanen extended; who can Dallas lose in expansion draft?
- VIDEO: BTS from Big 12 FB Media Days