Dallas Sports Fanatic is seeking talented, energetic writers with the skills and passion to go beyond traditional sports reporting to cover Dallas-area professional and college sports.
The successful candidate will cover games, but be able to elevate the coverage beyond play-by-play and statistics with features, analysis, and columns.
The position researches, writes and reports compelling journalism that continuously grows a fan base by informing and engaging readers. They will act as a public ambassador through community outreach and engage with readers through social media.
The reporter covers breaking news, with urgency and accuracy with the goal of leading the pack to report important developing news on our digital platforms, including a heavy focus on social media. The reporter must be competitive and dedicated to accuracy to help Dallas Sports Fanatic in building a “must-follow” brand for readers interested in breaking news and sports coverage in the Dallas market. The reporter must be capable of posting error-free basic stories to our digital platforms, including sending push alerts and pushing content to social media.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Exceptional writing skills and attention to detail (particularly with names, dates, scores)
- Must be creative and organized, with a love for the written word, and be a great storyteller
- Solid knowledge of journalism and need for immediacy in digital postings
- Good verbal and interviewing skills; ability to express ideas clearly, work with many different personality types and communicate with others in a sensitive and encouraging manner
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative, deadline-oriented environment
- Dallas sports fan
- Must be reliable an dependable
- Access to necessary equipment (computer, phone)
- Knowledge or the ability to learn WordPress for purposes of posting articles
- Knowledge of Twitter and Facebook required
- Knowledge of social media tools Google Analytics, Tweetdeck, Buffer preferred
- Develop strong relationships with coaches, athletes, sports fans and community supporters
- Ability to write and post articles as well as social media updates during the day
Ability to self-edit and avoid spelling, grammar, formatting, and punctuation errors.
Exhibits professionalism and serves as a trusted representative of Dallas Sports Fanatic
- Please be advised that while at this time this is a part-time, unpaid volunteer position it is a valuable opportunity to gain exposure, and experience.
- Our brand has a large following to help you gain exposure and experience if you’re looking to move forward with a career in sports journalism.
- Run by fans for fans, Dallas Sports Fanatic is a credentialed media site covering Dallas Mavericks, Dallas Wings, Dallas Stars, Texas Rangers, and FC Dallas. We also provide coverage of the Dallas Cowboys.
Interested candidates should submit their application, resume, work samples, and a sample article using the form below:
If you have any questions or concerns please email email@example.com
- Ep. 2: AD-Lakers trade, Celtics drama, NBA Draft, Cowboys contract situations, U.S. Women’s Soccer, & more
- Dallas Fanatic Pod: 100th Episode Pt 2: Luka Doncic wins Rookie of the Year, NBA free agency heats up and Taimon gets married!
- Pence and Gallo finalists to represent the Rangers as starters in the All-Star Game
- Dallas Fanatic Pod: 100TH EPISODE PT 1. !!!!! Former Cowboys RB Lincoln Coleman sits down with DSF to discuss the Cowboys and his time with the team!
- Why Kemba Walker makes sense for Dallas
- Luka Doncic’s Historic Rookie Campaign is Complete; Named 2018-2019 NBA Rookie of the Year
- Photos: Rangers vs White Sox (June 23, 2019)
- 3 reasons why Prescott is owed huge payday
- 3 reasons why the Mavs shouldn’t pursue a ‘big fish’ in free agency
- How Liz Cambage, Las Vegas Aces ended Wings two-game win streak