Williams’ wife, Amy, tweeted a picture of the black and white sign, which reads, “HAPPY BIRTHDAY DERON! from your Brooklyn family” and features the Nets’ new logo.
The Nets are hoping to give Williams an even better present on July 1 when he becomes a free agent: a max contract extension.
Williams is expected to opt out of his contract and officially become an unrestricted free agent at midnight July 1.
Sources told ESPN.com’s Marc Stein that Williams is only interested in re-signing with the Nets or playing for his hometown Dallas Mavericks.
The Nets are confident that they can keep Williams, despite the uncertainty surrounding their roster.
But they are expected to be very active in the offseason in trying to put the right pieces around Williams, assuming they can retain him.
Mike Mazzeo is a regular contributor for ESPNNewYork.com.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Key details from the announced Rangers 2021 schedule
- Texas Rangers Fanatic Podcast Ep 2: Iffy testing procedures and a look into the 2020 schedule
- Shin-Soo Choo continuing to help the Rangers organization on and off the field
- Jordan Spieth and other top pros return for the Workday Charity Classic
- Evaluating the new 2020 Rangers regular season schedule
- Three Rangers needing to click for team success in 2020
- Rangers slugger Joey Gallo tests positive for COVID-19
- SMU alum Bryson DeChambeau comes back to win in Michigan
- Four observations from the Rangers first intrasquad game on Sunday
- One year later, Mavs free agency signings of 2019 are proving their worth