Williams’ wife, Amy, tweeted a picture of the black and white sign, which reads, “HAPPY BIRTHDAY DERON! from your Brooklyn family” and features the Nets’ new logo.
The Nets are hoping to give Williams an even better present on July 1 when he becomes a free agent: a max contract extension.
Williams is expected to opt out of his contract and officially become an unrestricted free agent at midnight July 1.
Sources told ESPN.com’s Marc Stein that Williams is only interested in re-signing with the Nets or playing for his hometown Dallas Mavericks.
The Nets are confident that they can keep Williams, despite the uncertainty surrounding their roster.
But they are expected to be very active in the offseason in trying to put the right pieces around Williams, assuming they can retain him.
Mike Mazzeo is a regular contributor for ESPNNewYork.com.
- What to watch for in the regular season finale as the Mavs take on the Timberwolves
- After a slow start, David Dahl is on the rise for the Rangers
- A couple of takeaways from the Mavericks victory over the Raptors
- What to watch for as Dallas hosts the Toronto Raptors
- Mavs push Pelicans out of playoffs behind explosive 45-point second quarter
- 2021 Dallas Cowboys schedule takeaways
- The PGA Tour returns to Dallas for the 2021 Byron Nelson at TPC Craig Ranch
- What’s the deal with the Texas Rangers and series openers?
- What to watch for as Mavs host the New Orleans Pelicans
- Dallas Stars Fanatic Podcast: Stars miss the postseason: Is that actually a good thing?