The incumbent Brooklyn Nets are then scheduled to meet with Williams on tonight to recap a pitch they’ve been making to their All-Star guard for weeks.
The Nets can offer Williams a five-year deal worth nearly $100 million. The Mavericks can only counter with a four-year deal in the $75 million range but will try to sell Williams on the appeal of not only playing for his hometown team but teaming with the proven championship combo of star forward Dirk Nowitzki and coach Rick Carlisle.
Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that Nowitzki — who has maintained a friendship with Williams over the past few seasons — and Mavs owner Mark Cuban have been making their recruiting pitches to Williams by phone since free agency began Sunday at 12:01 a.m.
“@DeronWilliams Dallas fans are waiting on your arrival,” he wrote.
With Nowitzki traveling abroad this week and Cuban in Los Angeles working on his “Shark Tank” television show, sources say that Dallas will be represented in Monday’s sitdown with Williams by president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson, coach Rick Carlisle and former Mavericks franchise player Michael Finley, who is making the trip in an unofficial ambassadorial role.
In reality, though, Dallas’ lead recruiter in the quest to sign Williams is Mavericks point guard Jason Kidd, who has spent the bulk of the week in close proximity to Williams in the Hamptons on a golf vacation.
ESPN The Magazine’s Chris Broussard reported Sunday that Williams remains “torn” by the difficult decision, but the 28-year-old remains on course to choose his destination by Independence Day so he can report to Team USA training camp in Las Vegas on July 5.
The Nets’ meeting with Williams will follow a morning sitdown with free agent point guard Steve Nash, according to sources close to the process.
The Nets have interest in Nash both as a prime replacement for Williams should they lose Williams to Dallas but also as a potential backcourt mate for Williams.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- What does the immediate and distant future look like for the Mavericks and Kristaps Porzingis relationship?
- Mavericks simply don’t have enough for the fight in loss to the 76ers
- How Kyle Cody is already making a major impact in the Rangers organization
- Three things to watch for as the Mavericks travel to Philadelphia
- A couple of takeaways as Luka sinks the Celtics
- What to make of the latest Mavericks/Kristaps Porzingis trade rumors
- Mark Cuban denies report that team is shopping Kristaps Porzingis
- Storylines as the Mavericks host the Celtics on the second night of a back-to-back
- Texas Rangers Fanatic Podcast Episode 22: From Big Easy to Surprise, Arizona w/ Kennedi Landry
- The Cowboys can franchise tag Dak Prescott as soon as Tuesday