Reigning NBA Finals MVP Dirk Nowitzki will play a preseason game in his home country of Germany and one in Barcelona next October as the Dallas Mavericks will participate in the league’s international program for the first time, a source said.
Schedules and opponents are not yet set, the source said, but the Mavs are planning to open next season’s training camp a few days early to accommodate the trip.
Nowitzki, in his 14th season, has played multiple summers for the German national team, including leading his country to the 2008 Olympic Games, but he has never played an NBA game on his home soil.
And for years, the 2007 NBA MVP said he never figured he would. Mavs owner Mark Cuban has never been an advocate of playing preseason games overseas because of the travel demands while his team prepares for the long grind of an NBA season.
But, the source said, organizations can no longer pass on the league’s invitation to play overseas. The Mavs have long been an obvious choice to play international preseason games because of the presence of Nowitzki, and Dallas’ run to the championship last season only heightened the desire to send Nowitzki and the Mavs to Europe.
Nowitzki on Thursday was selected to his 11th consecutive All-Star team. He is averaging 18.3 points and 6.2 rebounds.
Jeff Caplan covers the Mavericks for ESPNDallas.com.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- What to watch for as the Mavericks host the Cavs
- Mavericks hold on to force fourth-straight loss for Irving, Nets
- Photos: Mavs vs Nets (May 6, 2021)
- Five realistic free agents Dallas should consider post-draft
- NFL Draft Review: How much potential does Wright have to contribute?
- What to watch for as the Mavs look to knock off the Nets
- Getting to know the Dallas Cowboys third round picks: Osa Odighizuwa, Chauncey Golston and Nashon Wright
- NFL Draft Review: Golston gives size, length to remolded defense
- Three takeaways from the Mavericks big win over the Heat
- NFL Draft Review: Odighizuwa can be disruptive for interior line