Smith’s opting-out decision, which must be made by July 1, would clear him to test free agency and be eligible for a 20 percent raise based on his $2.382 million salary from this past season, the Times reported, citing an anonymous source.
Smith could get as much as $12.2 million over four years if he opts out. Another option for Smith, the paper says, is re-signing with the Knicks for one year with early-Bird rights and earning a salary of at least $5.3 million in 2013-14.
A source told ESPN New York in May that Smith’s father, Earl, is going to make a strong case for his son to stay in New York, but “it’s very clear that the money is the biggest factor with him.”
Smith was signed in mid-February to a prorated share of the Knicks’ $2.5 million mini-midlevel exception with a player option for 2012-13 after playing in China during the lockout.
It was likely expected that he would decline his player option and test free agency this summer.
In April, three league sources with knowledge of his contract situation told ESPNNewYork.com that he would be undermining his value on the free-agent market by signing the $2.5 million option.
Smith averaged 12.5 points per game on 40 percent shooting, 3.9 rebounds and 1.5 steals in the regular season. But Smith struggled in New York’s first-round loss to Miami, shooting 11-for-48 in the final three games of the series.
Information from ESPNNewYork.com’s Ian Begley was used in this report.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- How does Dallas’ defense stack up against the rest of the league?
- Dallas Cowboys way-too-early 2021 draft preview: First round defensive tackles
- DSF Mailbag: Confidence in the offense after Sunday’s performance?
- Takeaways From Game Two, as Lightning Even the Series
- Around the NFC East: Cowboys win on Sunday creates big opportunity in upcoming weeks
- TweetCap: Fans react to the Cowboys comeback win over Atlanta
- Join Rangers Kyle Gibson and Big League Impact and Play Topgolf for Charity
- DSF Q&A: Five questions for Dallas after 40-39 win over Atlanta
- Game Recap: Cowboys win against all odds against Falcons
- Former SMU Mustang Bryson DeChambeau wins US Open at Winged Foot