After the free agency frenzy has cooled down over the past week, the Mavericks made another move.
On Friday afternoon, the Mavericks requested waivers on Kostas Antetokounmpo.
In his first season with the Mavericks organization on a two-way contract, Antetokounmpo played two games with Dallas while spending most of the season in Frisco with the Texas Legends.
As a member of the Legends, Kostas averaged 10.6 points and 6.1 rebounds in 40 games. In his two games where he saw the floor with the Mavericks, Kostas played just over 10 minutes of game action and scored two points.
“We are excited for Kostas to pursue other professional opportunities,” President of Basketball Operations/General Manager Donnie Nelson said in a press release on Friday.
Kostas’ roster spot was certainly already on the bubble when Summer League rolled around but his disappointing play along with the impressive showing from undrafted rookie Josh Reaves out of Penn State helped make this decision for the Mavericks.
It was clear that Dallas was hoping to see more development at this point from Kostas. His size and athleticism definitely remains intriguing as a young prospect but he’s still very raw as a fundamental basketball player.
The name on the back of the jersey surely was worth the flyer in last year’s draft but it didn’t work out, and that’s okay.
“Kostas worked very hard to improve his game and we are proud to have been a step in his development. We wish him all the best.”
- The Rangers are desperate for answers behind Mike Minor and Lance Lynn
- Dallas’ XFL team named the Renegades
- Positive Jaylon Smith rewarded with new contract; Proves doubters wrong
- Rangers rally, take 3 of 4 from Angels
- A breakdown of the Rangers in left field since 2001
- Dallas Cowboys: Preseason Stock Report
- Rangers youth making their mark in the big leagues
- Photos: Rangers vs Twins (August 18, 2019)
- The Rangers end the week losing games but adding members to the club’s Hall of Fame
- The Rangers may have finally reached their breaking point with Rougned Odor