Fox reporter Jay Glazer reported the Dallas Cowboys have agreed to terms with Mike McCarthy, less than 24 hours after parting ways with Jason Garrett.
McCarthy’s interview was reportedly the biggest deciding factor in the decision to let Garrett go. Dallas Sports Fanatic writers react to the news of the hiring.
Corey: Very meh on the hire, don’t hate it but I don’t love it. I think what it comes down to is if McCarthy has really evolved as a coach with the work he has done in his year away from the NFL. If he has, this could be a great hire. If he hasn’t, the Cowboys are signing up for another coach where the game has passed them by.
Mason: I like the hire. Jerry went with the experienced Super Bowl-winning coach to help win now rather than the appealing Lincoln Riley or Urban Meyer straight out of college. Maybe pulled the trigger a little quicker than I would’ve hoped, but it’s the safe choice. One of the arguments made against him is that he had Aaron Rodgers to carry him during his time with the Green Bay Packers. Regardless if that’s really true or not, the fact is he has a 125-77-2 record as a Head Coach in the NFL and has plenty of playoff experience, which is exactly what Jerry was looking for. Now we wait to see what McCarthy does to shape the rest of this coaching staff.
- Mavs lose a classic Western Conference thriller in Utah
- Seguin represents Dallas in Shooting Stars event at NHL skills competition
- The Mavericks have their Dwight Powell placeholder in Willie Cauley-Stein
- Dallas trade Isaiah Roby to OKC for Justin Patton; Patton to be released
- Exploring possibilities in a still unlikely Nolan Arenado trade for the Rangers
- Mailbag: Best new coaching hire under Mike McCarthy?
- The votes are in; Luka Doncic named All-Star starter
- Mavericks win shootout against Blazers, leapfrog Rockets in playoff hunt
- Cowboys: 2020 Mock Draft Watch 1.0
- Mavericks fall to Clippers as Dwight Powell injures Achilles, likely out for the season