Fox reporter Jay Glazer reported the Dallas Cowboys have agreed to terms with Mike McCarthy, less than 24 hours after parting ways with Jason Garrett.
McCarthy’s interview was reportedly the biggest deciding factor in the decision to let Garrett go. Dallas Sports Fanatic writers react to the news of the hiring.
Corey: Very meh on the hire, don’t hate it but I don’t love it. I think what it comes down to is if McCarthy has really evolved as a coach with the work he has done in his year away from the NFL. If he has, this could be a great hire. If he hasn’t, the Cowboys are signing up for another coach where the game has passed them by.
Mason: I like the hire. Jerry went with the experienced Super Bowl-winning coach to help win now rather than the appealing Lincoln Riley or Urban Meyer straight out of college. Maybe pulled the trigger a little quicker than I would’ve hoped, but it’s the safe choice. One of the arguments made against him is that he had Aaron Rodgers to carry him during his time with the Green Bay Packers. Regardless if that’s really true or not, the fact is he has a 125-77-2 record as a Head Coach in the NFL and has plenty of playoff experience, which is exactly what Jerry was looking for. Now we wait to see what McCarthy does to shape the rest of this coaching staff.
- A Look Back: Inaugural Opening Day at The Ballpark in Arlington
- Rangers players/coaches showing their fun side during this dark time
- Most and least valuable 2020 Texas Rangers contracts
- The wait to see a finished Globe Life Field stings even more on the scheduled day of the home opener
- More than basketball: Imani McGee-Stafford steps away from the WNBA to pursue a law degree
- A Look Back: The Top 5 SMU Basketball Games of the 2019-2020 Season
- How is Joey Gallo Spending His Time in Quarantine?
- How are the Rangers affected by the new MLB/MLB-PA agreement?
- Everything fans should know about new Cowboy Gerald McCoy
- NBA Executives to see salaries reduced by 20% due to COVID-19