Fox reporter Jay Glazer reported the Dallas Cowboys have agreed to terms with Mike McCarthy, less than 24 hours after parting ways with Jason Garrett.
McCarthy’s interview was reportedly the biggest deciding factor in the decision to let Garrett go. Dallas Sports Fanatic writers react to the news of the hiring.
Corey: Very meh on the hire, don’t hate it but I don’t love it. I think what it comes down to is if McCarthy has really evolved as a coach with the work he has done in his year away from the NFL. If he has, this could be a great hire. If he hasn’t, the Cowboys are signing up for another coach where the game has passed them by.
Mason: I like the hire. Jerry went with the experienced Super Bowl-winning coach to help win now rather than the appealing Lincoln Riley or Urban Meyer straight out of college. Maybe pulled the trigger a little quicker than I would’ve hoped, but it’s the safe choice. One of the arguments made against him is that he had Aaron Rodgers to carry him during his time with the Green Bay Packers. Regardless if that’s really true or not, the fact is he has a 125-77-2 record as a Head Coach in the NFL and has plenty of playoff experience, which is exactly what Jerry was looking for. Now we wait to see what McCarthy does to shape the rest of this coaching staff.
- Training Camp: Cowboys stock report
- Season Outlook: Can the Cowboys break the NFC East curse?
- Fans can go head-to-head with Rangers pitcher Dane Dunning in fantasy football this fall
- Episode 48: Where do the Mavs stand in the West, Tim Cato’s fan survey results
- Episode 15: Training Camp Notes – James Washington injury, Cowboys sign Anthony Barr