“If I’m Serge Ibaka, I’m naming my first son Dirk.”
Game one of the 2011 Western Conference finals was very likely the greatest performance of Dirk Nowitzki’s illustrious career. Not only is it remembered because of a slew of hilarious, yet accurate quotes from broadcaster Jeff Van Gundy. But it was also one of the most efficient shooting performances of all time.
Dirk scored 48 that night. Impressive in and of itself, but he only did it on 15 shots. That’s an absurd 3.2 points per shot. And as was the norm during that playoff run, Dirk was unconscious from the free throw line, going a perfect 24-24.
It was a combination of scoring volume and efficiency that we have rarely ever seen. Then you think about the type of shots he was getting up.
fadeaways, one legged fadeaways, contested 15 footers, awkward runners, etc….
It was a master class in Dirk Nowitzki basketball, and Serge Ibaka, Nick Collison, and Kendrick Perkins were the students.
And as was often the case, the Mavs needed every ounce of greatness Dirk could muster to snag a critical game one win. They would hold on to beat OKC, 121-112.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- As Kristaps Porzingis returns, the Mavericks are poised to take the league by storm
- A couple takeaways from The Mavericks 104-93 win over the Hornets
- What to watch for as short-handed Mavericks face the Hornets
- Mark Cuban is open to hosting vaccinated healthcare workers for free at Mavs games later this season
- Predicting the 2021 Texas Rangers Roster Configuration: Infield and Catcher
- Five plays that defined the Dallas Cowboys 2020 season
- The return of Porzingis? Unanswered COVID questions? Mavs/Pelicans bring a ton to the table on Monday
- From bad to worse: Kleber news takes Mavs’ COVID situation to a place that will be hard to handle
- The Home Court Show: Mavs take down the Magic thanks to the hot shooting of Tim Hardaway Jr.
- Predicting the 2021 Texas Rangers Roster Configuration: the Bullpen