Although training camp is still three weeks away and the offseason program has been over for three weeks, there is never a dull moment with the Dallas Cowboys. This past week we found out that there will be no suspension for running back Ezekiel Elliott from his Vegas incident after his meeting with Commissioner Roger Goodell.
We also found out that Randy Gregory is going to apply for reinstatement in hopes of getting cleared before training camp starts. Gregory has done everything in his power to set himself up to be reinstated, including not failing or missing any drug tests after his latest suspension. According to multiple reports, the NFL is also lightening up on their stance against marijuana as they head into CBA negotiations. The current agreement is set to expire after the 2020 season.
The Cowboys are expected to get contracts done with quarterback Dak Prescott and wide receiver Amari Cooper during training camp.
Demarcus Lawrence and Byron Jones are expected to start training camp on the PUP (physically unable to perform) list after each of them underwent offseason surgeries.
While Kellen Moore has not been allowed to completely overhaul the Cowboys offense, the players have praised Moore all offseason about his creative mind. Expect to see more motion and guys in different positions on offense.
Leighton Vander Esch was held out of most offseason activities due to lower body injury, but is expected to be ready to go when training camp starts.
The battle on the offensive line will be interesting to watch. Of course, the Cowboys added Connor MCGovern in the third round of the 2019 draft and he will be competing with 2018 second round pick Conor Williams for the left guard spot or La’el Collins’ starting job could be in question at right tackle.
We will have to wait to see the Robert Quinn/Demarcus Lawrence duo in action, but Rod Marinelli has been pleased with what he has seen from Quinn in the run game.
So, as long as these next three weeks go by without any new developments, that is a sneak peek into what the Cowboys look like heading into training camp.
- DSF Top 20 Current Athletes: #19 Wings G Skylar Diggins-Smith
- Tough challenges ahead for FC Dallas in their quest for the playoffs
- Cowboys-Redskins rivalry re-ignites for a week; Dallas looks for 2-0 start
- DSF Top 20 Current Athletes: #20 Stars D John Klingberg
- Dallas Fanatic Pod Ep 107: Mike Fisher of 105.3 The Fan joins the show to talk Cowboys and Mavs; DSF reflects on 9/11
- A bizarre beginning ends with a Rougie roar as Rangers rise past Rays
- Dallas defense has long way to go to be elite
- Ep. 6: Cowboys-Giants, Dak/Kellen Moore, Antonio Brown Drama, Week 1 Recap, & Cowboys-Redskins Preview
- Dallas Cowboys: Week one stock report
- Photos: SMU vs UNT (September 7, 2019)