The Texas Rangers are going to report for spring training in Surprise, Arizona here in a couple of weeks. The 2020 season will be the first season at Globe Life Field.
There was a ton of excitement heading into the Rangers offseason as the expectation was set that they would be willing to add payroll this offseason. That excitement only skyrocketed after they were able to acquire former Cy Young winner Corey Kluber. They also signed starting pitchers Jordan Lyles and Kyle Gibson to complete the rotation.
With the rotation improved from 2019, the focus shifted to the lineup and how the Rangers could improve there.
They were linked with some of the bigger name free agents such as, Anthony Rendon, Marcell Ozuna and Nicholas Castellanos. In the trade market, they were linked with names like Nolan Arenado, Kris Bryant and then late in the offseason, there was a thought that they may in play for Starling Marte from the Pittsburgh Pirates.
As of now, one of those names will be wearing a Rangers uniform in 2020.
Rendon signed a 7 year, $245 million deal with the Los Angeles Angels.
Castellanos signed a 4 year, $64 million deal recently with the Cincinnati Reds.
Marte was dealt to the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Ozuna signed a one year, $18 million contract with the Atlanta Braves.
GM Jon Daniels said that a Nolan Arenado deal seems highly unlikely at this point.
There is still a glimmer of hope for Kris Bryant now that he officially has two years of control left after losing his grievance against the Chicago Cubs.
So, for me although the Rangers greatly improved their rotation, their lineup still has unquestionable holes. This offseason, based on the expectation set heading into the offseason, has been a disappointment with less than two weeks remaining until the team reports to Surprise to start their preparation for the 2020 season.
- Mike Minor enters 2020 with same questions despite coming off an All-Star campaign
- Mailbag: What to make of Emmitt’s comments; Who needs a bigger role in 2020?
- An early look at the fringe Ranger roster spots: Who is in and who is out?
- Dallas Sidekicks fall to Western Conference foes
- Are Rangers fans misunderstanding Jon Daniels?
- Free agent tracker: Maliek Collins
- 3 takeaways from the Mavericks 139-123 win over Minnesota
- Photos: Mavs vs Timberwolves (February 24, 2020)
- Mavericks Weekly Preview (2/24-3/1)
- Michael Gallup deserves recognition despite outside distractions