The debate surrounding Byron Jones’ playing position is over.
The 2015 first-round draft pick revealed Monday he will be switching to cornerback after playing at safety for the past two seasons.
The Dallas Cowboys recognize the defensive back’s tremendous talent and skill, but it’s been a battle figuring out where Jones would be the most impactful on the field.
That is, until newly appointed defensive coordinator Kris Richard entered the building.
“I think it’ll be a good move for me and the team,” said Jones via Drew Davidson of the Fort Worth-Star Telegram. “It’s been something that as soon as Richard came in that’s what he was talking about, moving me to corner. So we had a discussion and made the move.”
You may recall Jones playing part-time safety during his rookie year, but he is “fully on board” with the change as he feels his longer body type is better suited to play corner.
As he transitions into his new position, Jones has the advantage of getting to work with Richard who played a role in the success of Richard Sherman, but that is not to say he welcomes comparison to the All-Pro.
“Everyone is different,” Jones said. “You can’t copy what someone else does and try to make it work for you. You have to find what works for yourself.”
“That’s important for a guy who is out there by yourself as a corner. Just find your own technique.”
This season will be important for Jones’ career. The Cowboys have not yet announced if they will exercise the fifth-year option on Jones but they must make a decision by early May if they plan to keep him past this season.
It’s safe to say that Jones is excited about solidifying himself in his new role as are many fans who have been pushing for this change. Granted this works out in the long run, Richard’s immediate influence on the team shows promise within the Cowboys staff and players.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Two key areas of inconsistency show as Mavs squander late lead over Nuggets
- Texas Rangers Fanatic Podcast Episode 20: Hip Hip Hooray with Jose Trevino
- Photos: Stars vs Predators – Jan. 25th, 2021
- Mavericks still searching for any bit of consistency as they host the Nuggets
- Stars Win Second in a Row Against the Predators
- Problems arise in Mavericks worst loss of the season to the Rockets
- Mavericks look to extend winning streak against the Rockets
- Luka and the Mavs make it happen when it counts in win over the Spurs
- How will the Rangers handle attendance in 2021 with Spring Training and the season approaching?
- Mavericks’ rookie Josh Green embraces the ‘dirty work’