Katie Smith is one of the most recognizable faces in women’s basketball. She is a two-time WNBA champion, a three-time Olympic Gold Medalist and the only woman to win championships in both the WNBA and American Basketball league. She was also a part of this year’s Hall of Fame Class along with her former Olympic and Seattle Storm teammate Tina Thompson.
Smith is one of the best scorers in WNBA history, which makes her the perfect candidate to talk to and get her reaction after Liz Cambage’s historic performance of 53 points.
“She was hitting them from all over, it wasn’t like she was lobbying them up and shooting layups,” said Smith. “She was knocking down three’s left and right she is one of the best players in the world for her size, skill, and she is a tough guard. I’m disappointed we gave her that many, but kudos to her. She was on one tonight.”
Smith won two championships for the Detriot Shock before the team relocated to Tulsa, Oklahoma, and then again to Dallas.
Following the Wing’s 104-87 win over the New York Liberty, I had the opportunity to ask Cambage when she realized she set the new record for most points in a single WNBA game.
“After the game, Karima [Christmas-Kelly] told me that I beat Riquna’s [Williams] record with that three. I didn’t realize that was the record, it wasn’t like it was a focus— my focus is to win every game.It is nice to make history, but at the end of the day we have another game in two days. That happened today, and we have to focus on tomorrow now.” said Cambage.
Next up for the Wings is a date with the Washington Mystics Thursday at the College Park Center in Arlington, Texas. The game will start at 8 pm EST and 7 pm CST.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Two key areas of inconsistency show as Mavs squander late lead over Nuggets
- Texas Rangers Fanatic Podcast Episode 20: Hip Hip Hooray with Jose Trevino
- Photos: Stars vs Predators – Jan. 25th, 2021
- Mavericks still searching for any bit of consistency as they host the Nuggets
- Stars Win Second in a Row Against the Predators
- Problems arise in Mavericks worst loss of the season to the Rockets
- Mavericks look to extend winning streak against the Rockets
- Luka and the Mavs make it happen when it counts in win over the Spurs
- How will the Rangers handle attendance in 2021 with Spring Training and the season approaching?
- Mavericks’ rookie Josh Green embraces the ‘dirty work’