Katie Smith is one of the most recognizable faces in women’s basketball. She is a two-time WNBA champion, a three-time Olympic Gold Medalist and the only woman to win championships in both the WNBA and American Basketball league. She was also a part of this year’s Hall of Fame Class along with her former Olympic and Seattle Storm teammate Tina Thompson.
Smith is one of the best scorers in WNBA history, which makes her the perfect candidate to talk to and get her reaction after Liz Cambage’s historic performance of 53 points.
“She was hitting them from all over, it wasn’t like she was lobbying them up and shooting layups,” said Smith. “She was knocking down three’s left and right she is one of the best players in the world for her size, skill, and she is a tough guard. I’m disappointed we gave her that many, but kudos to her. She was on one tonight.”
Smith won two championships for the Detriot Shock before the team relocated to Tulsa, Oklahoma, and then again to Dallas.
Following the Wing’s 104-87 win over the New York Liberty, I had the opportunity to ask Cambage when she realized she set the new record for most points in a single WNBA game.
“After the game, Karima [Christmas-Kelly] told me that I beat Riquna’s [Williams] record with that three. I didn’t realize that was the record, it wasn’t like it was a focus— my focus is to win every game.It is nice to make history, but at the end of the day we have another game in two days. That happened today, and we have to focus on tomorrow now.” said Cambage.
Next up for the Wings is a date with the Washington Mystics Thursday at the College Park Center in Arlington, Texas. The game will start at 8 pm EST and 7 pm CST.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Spieth and many other big names out as the PGA Tour heads to Detroit for the Rocket Mortgage Classic
- FC Dallas in the spotlight due to to nine reported positive COVID-19 tests in Orlando
- A Dak Prescott decision needs to made
- Dustin Johnson wins the Traveler’s Championship on Sunday with weather delays
- Texas Rangers Fanatic Podcast Ep. 1: Notes on the planned 2020 season
- What to expect from the WNBA 2020 season
- News of COVID-19 cases continues tough month of off-field happenings for Rangers
- Several Rangers employees test positive for COVID-19; what does this mean for the potential home opener?
- Mavericks restart schedule announced on Friday night
- Did Chris Woodward get it right by naming Lance Lynn the Rangers Opening Day starter?