The SMU Mustangs and Houston Cougars met for the 34th time Saturday night and for just the 12th time the SMU Mustangs defeated the Cougars 45-31. The Mustangs have now upset the ranked Cougars twice in the last three seasons.
The Mustangs offense was the story of the first half. They outgained the Cougars 379-153 behind Ben Hicks 225 yards passing and three touchdowns. Hicks bounced back from last weeks game clinching pick six with a career high 4 touchdowns.
The Mustangs would never trial in this game, jumping out to a 17-0 lead. Houston would then score 14 straight to make it 17-14 after a fumble recovery for a touchdown. That didn’t phase the Mustangs as they were able to put together two touchdown drives right before halftime to lead 31-14.
SMU would extend that lead to 38-17 on a Reggie Roberson Jr. 59 yard touchdown pass with 1:59 left in the third quarter. SMU would take that lead into the 4th quarter.
However, Houston would not go away. With 9:24 left in the 4th, they would cut the lead to 38-31.
Quarterback Ben Hicks said after game that the Cougars wanted no part of their running game. That was on full display on the Mustangs drive to seal the game, a drive that went 60 yards on 13 plays on all runs to go up 45-31 and ice the game. Ke’Mon Freeman would finish the game with 20 carries for 107 yards.
Coach Dykes felt like this was the most complete game of the Mustangs season.
Next up for the Mustangs is a road contest against Connecticut.
- Ep. 2: AD-Lakers trade, Celtics drama, NBA Draft, Cowboys contract situations, U.S. Women’s Soccer, & more
- Dallas Fanatic Pod: 100th Episode Pt 2: Luka Doncic wins Rookie of the Year, NBA free agency heats up and Taimon gets married!
- Pence and Gallo finalists to represent the Rangers as starters in the All-Star Game
- Dallas Fanatic Pod: 100TH EPISODE PT 1. !!!!! Former Cowboys RB Lincoln Coleman sits down with DSF to discuss the Cowboys and his time with the team!
- Why Kemba Walker makes sense for Dallas
- Luka Doncic’s Historic Rookie Campaign is Complete; Named 2018-2019 NBA Rookie of the Year
- Photos: Rangers vs White Sox (June 23, 2019)
- 3 reasons why Prescott is owed huge payday
- 3 reasons why the Mavs shouldn’t pursue a ‘big fish’ in free agency
- How Liz Cambage, Las Vegas Aces ended Wings two-game win streak