As we countdown to the NFL draft we’ll take a look back at each top-50 pick in Dallas History.
NFL Pre-Draft Analysis: “Williams has been a personal favorite since studying his freshman season, but his 2017 tape didn’t match his previous body of work. Williams seemed to lose some lateral quickness and had troubles holding up at a high level in protection. A move to guard or center is a possibility depending on how his arm length measures out. Williams is a plus run blocker with plug-and-play technique across the board. If he regains his 2016 form, he will be a good NFL starter. If not, he’ll be an average NFL starter.” – Lance Zierlein
Dallas Cowboy guard Connor Williams was taken with the 18th pick in the second round, 50th overall, of the 2018 NFL draft.
The 6’5, 296-pound prospect was selected out of the University of Texas where he was a two-time All-American and first-team Big 12 selection.
Coming out as a junior Williams was graded as a 6.3 prospect, which means NFL analysts projected him to become a starter within his first two seasons.
Williams started in his first regular-season game against the Carolina Panthers in 2018 but lost his starting role to Xavier Su’a-Filo due to injury following their week nine loss to the Tennessee Titans.
He returned to his starting role in both the team’s playoff games against the Seattle Seahawks and Los Angeles Rams.
An NFL team personnel executive had this say before his draft:
“I heard all about how good he was last year and then I turned on the tape and what I saw wasn’t a first-rounder at all. I can go back to 2016, but who is he now? I have to know who he is and who he’s going to be in three to five years. Scouting is projecting.”
PFF gave Williams a 61.4 grade this past season. According to their statistics, in 727 offensive snaps, he was penalized six times and allowed one sack.
Full 2018 draft analysis → https://www.nfl.com/prospects/connor-williams?id=32195749-4c20-4393-9715-dea42eb24dc6
Other 50th Overall Picks in Dallas History:
Mike Walter, Linebacker, 1983
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Keeping It Semi-Casual: The greatness of Rangers stadiums and other venues with Alex Plinck
- Playoff seeding implications on the line as Mavericks play the Blazers
- Five Key Points: Previewing Dallas (3) vs Calgary (7)
- Tim Hardaway Jr. and Mavs role players step up to handle the Jazz in the second half
- What to watch for as Mavericks take on the Jazz
- 23-year-old Collin Morikawa wins the PGA Championship
- Rangers sweep Angels thanks to oddities and a Lance Lynn milestone
- No shortage of amazement for Luka Doncic’s insane pass late in the Mavs win over the Bucks
- An all-time Luka performance leads the Mavs past the Bucks in overtime
- Have the Rangers turned the tide of their 2020 season in the last several days?