The Dallas Cowboys announced on Sunday that they have decided to part ways with Darren McFadden.
It was just a few weeks ago that staff writer Patrick Conn discussed the three-man running back committee that listed McFadden third on the depth chart. Since then the 30-year-old veteran running back was active for only one game behind Alfred Morris and Rod Smith.
The two years McFadden spent with the Cowboys were somewhat a roller coaster ride. He had a successful start with the team in 2015 but was demoted in 2016 after the arrival of Ezekiel Elliot. McFadden was active once this season after Elliott’s suspension began in Week 10.
The decision to release McFadden was highly influenced by the versatility of Rod Smith. “His ability to play special teams was consistently a deciding factor in McFadden being inactive for the first 11 games,” according to Dallas Cowboys writer Rob Phillips.
Through it all, McFadden has remained a class act.
Just want to say Thank You to the @dallascowboys. I grew up a Cowboys fan and it was awesome to wear the Star on my helmet. I wish my boys good luck.
— Darren McFadden (@dmcfadden20) November 26, 2017
McFadden, who has expressed a strong desire to continue playing, is able to get picked up by another team at any time.
The Cowboys have now filled McFadden’s roster spot with RB Trey Williams who was briefly with the Cowboys in 2015 but never active.
It will be interesting to see how/if the Cowboys plan to utilize Williams for the next few weeks. Elliot is set to return on Christmas Eve against the Seahawks where he will reclaim his throne as the starting running back for the Cowboys.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Old Rivalry Renewed as Stars Take on Red Wings at Home
- Two key areas of inconsistency show as Mavs squander late lead over Nuggets
- Texas Rangers Fanatic Podcast Episode 20: Hip Hip Hooray with Jose Trevino
- Photos: Stars vs Predators – Jan. 25th, 2021
- Mavericks still searching for any bit of consistency as they host the Nuggets
- Stars Win Second in a Row Against the Predators
- Problems arise in Mavericks worst loss of the season to the Rockets
- Mavericks look to extend winning streak against the Rockets
- Luka and the Mavs make it happen when it counts in win over the Spurs
- How will the Rangers handle attendance in 2021 with Spring Training and the season approaching?