It was almost too good to be true.
That was the sentiments echoing around social media and the Dallas Cowboys front office after they drafted Oklahoma star CeeDee Lamb with the 17th overall pick. Dallas opted to add to their strengths instead of reaching on a need.
Admirable, but it still leaves the team with six picks to fill a few defensive holes.
That task starts tonight with the 51st and 82nd selection in the second and third rounds. Fortunately, after a few projected first-round talents fell, Dallas may be in a position to add one of those falling stars.
The Athletic’s Dane Brugler released his Friday mock draft: projecting rounds two and three of the 2020 NFL draft. A few names that were linked to Dallas, such as Alabama safety Xavier McKinney, finds his home in Chicago — who chose not to resign Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.
Minnesota safety Antoine Winfield ends up in Indianapolis with the 44th pick. Utah corner Jaylon Johnson travels to the east coast with the New York Jets, while Wisconsin linebacker Zack Baun goes two picks ahead of Dallas to Pittsburgh at 49.
Fortunately, Alabama corner Trevon Diggs falls to them at 51 allowing Dallas to get an athletic, 6′ 1″, 205-pound athletic cover man. A few mocks had Diggs being selected between 20-25. He already has an elite frame and “above-average for agility for a big cornerback.” He was a third-team All-American selection and second-team All-SEC.
Diggs started 12 games as a senior, recording three interceptions and a team-high eight pass breakups.
Brugler has Dallas double-dipping in the secondary with Utah Free Safety Terrell Burgess being selected at pick 82. Burgess is a cornerback turned safety at 5′ 11″, 205 pounds.
He was “uncommon discipline and field vision,” according to NFL analyst Lance Zierlein. He only spent his senior year at Utah as a full-time starter, but still made enough of an impact to be seen as a valuable middle-round pick. He could be a versatile safety for Dallas that has the ability to slide in at slot corner if needed.
The second round of the NFL Draft begins at 7 p.m. ET Friday evening.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Mavericks visit the Pacers as both teams fight through major injuries
- Three takeaways as the depleted Mavericks lose their third straight to Toronto
- Dallas Stars Fanatic Podcast: Stars enter 2021 season with question marks after delayed start
- What to watch for as the Mavericks look to bounce back against Toronto
- A couple of takeaways from the Mavericks 117-101 loss to the Bulls.
- Photos: Mavs vs Bulls (January 17, 2021)
- Will the Mavs overcome late-game woes against the skidding Chicago Bulls?
- Predicting the 2021 Texas Rangers Roster Configuration: Outfield and DH
- Late game miscues stand out as Mavericks fall to the Bucks in Milwaukee
- Texas Rangers Fanatic Podcast Episode 19: The holidays are not over w/ Wes Benjamin