It was almost too good to be true.
That was the sentiments echoing around social media and the Dallas Cowboys front office after they drafted Oklahoma star CeeDee Lamb with the 17th overall pick. Dallas opted to add to their strengths instead of reaching on a need.
Admirable, but it still leaves the team with six picks to fill a few defensive holes.
That task starts tonight with the 51st and 82nd selection in the second and third rounds. Fortunately, after a few projected first-round talents fell, Dallas may be in a position to add one of those falling stars.
The Athletic’s Dane Brugler released his Friday mock draft: projecting rounds two and three of the 2020 NFL draft. A few names that were linked to Dallas, such as Alabama safety Xavier McKinney, finds his home in Chicago — who chose not to resign Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.
Minnesota safety Antoine Winfield ends up in Indianapolis with the 44th pick. Utah corner Jaylon Johnson travels to the east coast with the New York Jets, while Wisconsin linebacker Zack Baun goes two picks ahead of Dallas to Pittsburgh at 49.
Fortunately, Alabama corner Trevon Diggs falls to them at 51 allowing Dallas to get an athletic, 6′ 1″, 205-pound athletic cover man. A few mocks had Diggs being selected between 20-25. He already has an elite frame and “above-average for agility for a big cornerback.” He was a third-team All-American selection and second-team All-SEC.
Diggs started 12 games as a senior, recording three interceptions and a team-high eight pass breakups.
Brugler has Dallas double-dipping in the secondary with Utah Free Safety Terrell Burgess being selected at pick 82. Burgess is a cornerback turned safety at 5′ 11″, 205 pounds.
He was “uncommon discipline and field vision,” according to NFL analyst Lance Zierlein. He only spent his senior year at Utah as a full-time starter, but still made enough of an impact to be seen as a valuable middle-round pick. He could be a versatile safety for Dallas that has the ability to slide in at slot corner if needed.
The second round of the NFL Draft begins at 7 p.m. ET Friday evening.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Dallas Stars Fanatic Podcast: Postgame reaction to Stars’ opening qualifier loss to Vegas
- Knights Oust the Stars in the First Game of Round Robin
- Rangers Stock Report: Gallo is up and bullpen is down after 10 days
- Another disappointing second half as Mavericks fall to Suns
- Class in session: What we learned from the Rangers this past week
- Mavericks look to clinch first playoff birth since 2015-16 against Suns
- Satou Sabally asserts dominance, earns first career double-double
- Mavs loss on Friday night is the first reminder in months of the team’s greatest weakness
- Four takeaways as the Mavs drop a heartbreaker to Houston
- Mavericks Restart Roundtable: Scrimmage reactions and playoff seeding predictions