The Dallas Cowboys, along with the NFL continue to remain in a holding pattern. Due to the unprecedented times we are in, NFL organizations are having to get creative with their draft plans.
The NFL will be hosting a “virtual” event for the draft this year. Meanwhile, NFL teams are forgoing the usual visits with draft prospects, in favor of virtual meetings through Skype, Zoom, and FaceTime. This new-aged approach is throwing a wrench in traditional clues we could gather from the team.
Rather than combing the Dallas Day or 30 visits lists to see who Dallas likes, we are left with who they interview and post about on their social media accounts.
With Byron Jones exiting stage right in free agency, Dallas focused on replacing him with multiple moves. Anthony Brown was re-signed and will look to rebound after an injury-marred year.
Chidobe Awuzie and Jourdan Lewis enter their contract years looking to make a case for new contracts. Maurice Canady was signed to provide depth, while Saivion Smith was added to be an athletic camp body.
These moves provide competition at cornerback under a new coaching staff. All that being said, how big is the need at corner?
Depending on how you value team-building, some would argue that corner is the biggest need on the Cowboys. Others argue that a rejuvenated offense should go all in; targeting a top-tier wideout early in the draft.
While corner could use an infusion of talent, I would still argue a wide receiver is a bigger priority in the immediate future. Like Dallas has done for the last few years, they have covered themselves at positions of need to not have to force a selection in the draft.
However, as Travis Frederick’s surprise retirement shows, depth continuously needs to be replenished. Dallas is in a position to take the top players on their board through the 2020 draft. It will be on the new coaching staff and the front office to make the right moves.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Problems arise in Mavericks worst loss of the season to the Rockets
- Mavericks look to extend winning streak against the Rockets
- Luka and the Mavs make it happen when it counts in win over the Spurs
- How will the Rangers handle attendance in 2021 with Spring Training and the season approaching?
- Mavericks’ rookie Josh Green embraces the ‘dirty work’
- Three things to watch for as the Mavericks travel to San Antonio
- Reactions after Mavs snap three-game losing streak against Pacers
- Mavericks visit the Pacers as both teams fight through major injuries
- Three takeaways as the depleted Mavericks lose their third straight to Toronto
- Dallas Stars Fanatic Podcast: Stars enter 2021 season with question marks after delayed start