The season is already a quarter in and the Dallas Cowboys are showing signs of needed improvement. Some of which can be addressed during the season. Others are proving to be more of long-term issues that have to be addressed in the off-season. The NFL Draft is where a lot of needs can be looked at. You can’t fix every problem overnight but using resources in the draft can cure what ails this team.
Here are the top three needs for the Dallas Cowboys after four weeks.
- The Dallas Cowboys have really struggled to find the replacement for Ronald Leary/La’el Collins at the left guard position. The team basically gave the job to Chaz Green who was primarily thought of as the swing tackle during his career up to this point.
- The issues is that he was out-performed during camp and preseason by Jonathan Cooper. Although, Cooper didn’t look very strong on Sunday. Facing Aaron Donald will do that to you. Green has the inability to stay healthy. The Cowboys need to look to the draft and once again use premium capital to address this need.
- Day one or two of the draft would be good. You can’t hope to find another Ronald Leary in free agency but this team has shown the ability to find key players late or as undrafted free agents.
- Many thought the linebacking group would be one of strength this season. However, no one saw the injury to Anthony Hitchens coming. He was expected to play the middle linebacker (MIKE) spot. His injury forced the team to sign Justin Durant and to lean on Jaylon Smith.
- Smith just isnt ready for the type of impact they need. The absence of Sean Lee against the Rams magnified the issues. He doesn’t see the plays and react quick enough but given more time one should believe that he will. Time just isn’t a luxury the team has at this point.
- Damien Wilson hasn’t been the player the team thought they had. This team lacks depth at linebacker, even having to go as far as using linebacker turned fullback Keith Smith on the scout team. Just in case he would be needed. The team must address linebacker come the offseason.
- For the first time in a few years the Dallas Cowboys have a pass rusher making an impact. The only problem is that he is scheduled to be a free agent at the end of the season. Likely he will be franchised given that DeMarcus Lawrence hasn’t shown this sort of contribution until now. So the “prove it” franchise tag is a possible solution.
- Outside of Tank, no defensive end has shown the ability to get any kind of pressure opposite of him. David Irving returns this week but is he enough? Only four players have recorded a sack or put any pressure on opposing quarterbacks. One of which has been inactive for the last two weeks.
- The Cowboys must find their quarterback hunter to challenge the right side. The trio of Taco Charlton, Benson Mayowa and Tyrone Crawford aren’t good enough to help Tank out.
- Six Underrated Heroes as the Texas Rangers Celebrate First World Series Title
- How do the Texas Rangers and Arizona Diamondbacks Match Up in the 2023 Fall Classic?
- Texas Rangers bound for World Series vs Diamondbacks in a euphoric state
- Previewing a Texas-Sized ALCS Between Rangers and Astros
- Despite a shaky finish, the Rangers still have the same focus on postseason success as they go to Tampa for the Wild Card series