The Dallas Cowboys got off to a dazzling start Sunday with a 35-17 victory over the New York Giants. They will travel to Washington for another division match up against the Redskins.
Notes from the game
The Cowboys used play-action on 48% of Dak Prescott’s passes after only using play-action on 25% last season.
Dak Prescott completed 25-32 passes for 405 yards and four touchdowns with a perfect passer rating.
The Cowboys have now beat the Giants five times in a row.
As Byron Jones works his way back into a full-time role, Jourdan Lewis is the perfect example of the depth they have in the secondary. Despite being undersized compared to what Kris Richard typically likes at the corner position, Lewis does nothing but make plays when given the opportunity. On Sunday, he was on the field for 27 coverage snaps and allowed one catch for six yards.
The Receiving core
Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup and Randall Cobb all had fantastic games. Gallup brought in all seven of his targets for 158 yards. Cooper had 106 yards on 6 catches and a touchdown and Randall Cobb caught four passes for 69 yards and a touchdown. The best part of this receiving core is they all want each other to succeed because they realize they need each other in order to accomplish the goal of winning a Super Bowl.
Bold prediction: I believe that Gallup and Cooper will both have 1,000 receiving yards.
Dorance Armstrong failed to hit the stat sheet on Sunday. Armstrong was very active on special teams. However, with Taco Charlton being inactive, this was a missed opportunity to cement his spot in the defensive line rotation once Robert Quinn returns from injury.
I will start by saying I am not concerned at all with Zack Martin for the season. After missing the majority of training camp, there was definitely some rust with Martin. Martin was flagged for two penalties(holding and tripping) in the first half Sunday. Martin committed just one penalty the previous two seasons.
- D-Town Sports Bar Pod Ep2: Jason Terry says Luka will “lead this Mavericks franchise to another championship”
- Top-10: Ranking the top players remaining on Dallas’ schedule
- Historic Doncic triple-double fuels Mavs win over the Spurs
- Photos: Mavs vs Spurs (November 18, 2019)
- Market determines Jones should be league’s highest-paid corner
- Mavericks Weekly Preview (11/18-11/24)
- TweetCap: Twitter reacts to Cowboys 35-27 win over Detroit
- Post-game Reaction: DSF writers share their immediate thoughts on Cowboys’ win
- Photos: Mavs vs Raptors (November 16, 2019)
- Gut Feeling: DSF writers share final thoughts on Cowboys-Lions matchup