DALLAS, TEXAS (Nov. 8, 2019) – The Dallas Mavericks and Nike take play seriously, announcing their partnership to launch Game Growers, a new program that invites girls across the country to create the inclusive, meaningful experiences in sport that they deserve, starting in Dallas. The Game Growers program gives eighth grade girls the opportunity to work in pairs to develop ideas and collaborate with participating WNBA and NBA teams to inspire more girls in their community to play and love sports.
“Nike is joining forces with the WNBA and NBA to invite girls across the country to help us change the game,” said Caitlin Morris, General Manager of Nike Social & Community Impact. “We know that kids who play do better in every way – physically, emotionally and academically – yet this generation, and girls in particular, are the least active in history. We want girls today to be game changers and problem solvers, and Game Growers helps amplify their voices, lifts up their ideas and equips them to succeed – on the court and in life.”
By age 14, girls are dropping out of sport at twice the rate of boys. According to a 2018 study from the Women’s Sports Foundation, nearly 40 percent of girls don’t participate in sport, versus 25 percent of boys. Game Growers enables eighth grade girls to share their ideas for how to make sport more fun, starting in their hometown.
“Sports, and basketball in particular, can provide such great life skills and lessons and we want young girls in DFW to continue to have these amazing experiences on the court. Our participation in the Game Growers program is designed to empower girls and keep them involved in the sports they love” says Dallas Mavericks CEO, Cynt Marshall.
Game Growers Timeline
- Teams of two eighth grade girls can apply now until Nov. 15, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. PST at www.gamegrowers.com.
- Game Growers participants will be notified by Dec. 15, 2019 and will earn a chance to develop their idea to get more girls playing sports in partnership with a WNBA or NBA team and Nike; they’ll also have the opportunity to attend the Game Growers Training Camp at Nike World Headquarters in January 2020.
- Selected Game Growers Game Plans will be shared during the Game Growers Showcase at the 2020 WNBA Draft in April.
About The Dallas Mavericks
The Dallas Mavericks are a first class global sports and entertainment organization providing memorable experiences for fans worldwide. The Mavs compete in the National Basketball Association as a member of the Western Conference and play at American Airlines Center under the direction of Coach Rick Carlisle, General Manager Donnie Nelson and Owner Mark Cuban. Since the inaugural season in 1980-81, the Mavs have won three division titles, two conference championships and one NBA championship in 2011. In addition to on-court success, the Mavs are committed to making a difference in North Texas through community programs and the Mavs Foundation. For more information on Dallas Mavericks players, staff, stats and tickets, visit mavs.com.
About Nike Social & Community Impact
Nike believes in the power of sport to unleash human potential and build community. We fuel this belief through Made to Play, our commitment to getting kids moving through play and sport so they can lead healthier, happier and more successful lives. Together with community partners and our employees around the world, we’re designing innovative solutions to get more than 17 million kids playing, running and jumping their way to a brighter future. Find out more about Nike’s commitment to getting kids moving and providing opportunities for equal playing fields for all at communityimpact.nike.com.
Note: Press Release credit to Dallas Mavericks.
- Porzingis struggles as Mavericks fail to end Celtics win streak
- Forget the past, Josh Donaldson is the best outside option for the Rangers at third base
- Two observations from the last week of Mavs basketball
- Mavericks Weekly Preview (11/11-11/17)
- Gut Feeling: DSF writers give their final thoughts on Cowboys, Vikings Sunday night matchup
- Rangers Regular Season Awards: Season Overview
- Luka, Mavericks handle business against the Grizzlies
- SMU Mustangs bounces back, outlasts East Carolina
- Photos: SMU vs East Carolina (November 9, 2019)
- Rangers Regular Season Awards: Top Plays