The Dallas Wings will play their first regular season game on Friday, officially without their leading scorer from a season ago in forward Liz Cambage. Not appearing in any of the Wings preseason games this month, the deadline for Cambage to be moved before the season spurred a deal with the Las Vegas Aces.
A year after finishing eighth in the league to earn a playoff berth, one spot ahead of the Aces in their inaugural season, the Wings will quickly have to work Moriah Jefferson and Isabelle Harrison into their lineup in hopes of keeping pace in 2019. The Aces welcome Cambage to a starting lineup already featuring Kelsey Plum, Jackie Young, Kayla McBride, and A’ja Wilson.
BREAKING: Dallas Wings have traded Liz Cambage to the Las Vegas Aces for Moriah Jefferson, Isabelle Harrison, and the 2020 1st & 2nd round pick. #wnbainsidr
— Rachel Galligan (@RachGall) May 16, 2019
The most positive development out of the Wings preseason has been the emergence of fifth overall pick Arike Ogunbowale of Notre Dame. Adding proven depth in the back court with Jefferson shows the Wings intention here. The second overall pick of the 2016 Draft, Jefferson burst onto the WNBA scene out of UCONN as an all-rookie selection for San Antonio.
Though Jefferson has missed time due to injury in her last two seasons, most recently in Vegas, she’s a proven facilitator the Wings will look to soften the scoring absence left by Cambage.
Harrison has had similar durability issues to Jefferson through four seasons in the league, drafted by the Phoenix Mercury in 2015. Missing her entire rookie season, Harrison did not play last year for the Aces either, but did fit in well with Jefferson on the Stars in 2017.
Known for her defensive prowess, Harrison gives the Wings length on the perimeter and further builds their depth. It will take a team effort to replace Cambage in the Wings lineup. Their trade return for allowing Cambage her much-needed change of scenery from Dallas to Las Vegas won’t be enough alone, but rookies Kennedy Burke and Ogunbowale have shown hope for the future of the Wings this preseason.
For those scoring at home, the Wings first game against the Aces is set for June 22nd on the road. Cambage will return to College Park center on August 3rd.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- A couple of takeaways from the Mavericks 117-101 loss to the Bulls.
- Photos: Mavs vs Bulls (January 17, 2021)
- Will the Mavs overcome late-game woes against the skidding Chicago Bulls?
- Predicting the 2021 Texas Rangers Roster Configuration: Outfield and DH
- Late game miscues stand out as Mavericks fall to the Bucks in Milwaukee
- Texas Rangers Fanatic Podcast Episode 19: The holidays are not over w/ Wes Benjamin
- As Kristaps Porzingis returns, the Mavericks are poised to take the league by storm
- A couple takeaways from The Mavericks 104-93 win over the Hornets
- What to watch for as short-handed Mavericks face the Hornets
- Mark Cuban is open to hosting vaccinated healthcare workers for free at Mavs games later this season