Name a better way to spend your Saturday than watching a 7-foot, 40-year old NBA legend stumble around on a tennis court. Can’t think of anything? Yeah, me neither.
Yesterday at the SMU Tennis Center, Dirk held the third annual Dirk Nowitzki Pro Celebrity Tennis Classic, which benefits The Dirk Nowitzki Foundation. Like Dirk’s Heroes celebrity softball game, these events bring out athletes across several sports to put on a fun event for fans and of course for Dirk’s foundation.
Joining Dirk as a participant in the tennis classic from the Mavericks was Dwight Powell and Devin Harris, who were there to support The Big German more so than to showcase their tennis skills.
“It’s very motivating I think for all of us in the Dallas community, athletes or not, to get involved and help. He’s left such a tremendous footprint in a positive way in this city and this state,” Dwight Powell explained of the importance of getting involved with Dirk’s foundation. “Anytime he calls any of us, you can ask any of our teammates and even guys who played on a 10-day (contract), if he calls, they’ll be there.”
Former Maverick and fan favorite Monta Ellis was a late addition to the field and Dirk was sure to poke fun at his former teammate about his supposed tennis skills. “So, Monta, I’ve never seen him play, but he claims he was an All-American in high school or something? All-Mississippi?” Monta responded in a way that only Monta could; “All that.”
Alongside the basketball players, the field included tennis legends Andy Roddick, Mark Knowles, Tommy Haas, and Taylor Dent along with pro wakeboarder Steel Lafferty and Fort Worth native pro tennis player Mitchell Krueger.
After an exciting round of matches throughout the humid day in Dallas, former tennis legend Mark Knowles and amateur Camelia Georgiana Marta defeated tennis pro Mitchell Krueger and Jessica Nowitzki to take home the crown.
To check out more information on The Dirk Nowitzki Foundation, click here.
- Winter is Coming: Cowboys’ December Stretch is Brutal
- Wilson’s deal presents ideal time for Prescott extension
- Dallas Stars score four first period goals in Game 4 rout of Predators
- Photos: Stars vs Predators (April 17, 2019)
- Isiah Kiner-Falefa continuing to learn and grow for the Rangers
- Arike Ogunbowale evolves Wings backcourt, set for rookie season in Dallas
- The Greatness That is Texas Rangers’ PA Announcer Chuck Morgan
- Photos: Rangers vs Angels (April 15, 2019)
- What makes up the Rangers’ manager Chris Woodward’s new philosophy?
- Photos: Rangers vs Athletics (April 14, 2019)