Bryan Broaddus of 105.3 The Fan did a segment on Thursday afternoon about Dak Prescott. He spoke with different coaches about the trust that coach Garrett had in Dak and if Prescott might want to move on from the Cowboys eventually. He also touched on a couple of other things during that segment that I found interesting.
John Kitna and Dak Prescott relationship
The relationship between coach John Kitna and Dak Prescott wasn’t as perfect as it may have seemed based on the steps taken by Prescott in 2019. According to a coach Broaddus spoke with, Jason Garrett had to step in and defend his quarterback last year when Kitna and Prescott weren’t seeing eye to eye. Even though Broaddus mentioned that this was the two “figuring things out,” I don’t think that can be overlooked when you look at reasons why Kitna wasn’t retained for the 2020 season, which came as a surprise to most.
Jason Garrett and Dak relationship
When I think of the Jason Garrett/Prescott relationship, I think of a head coach that may have been holding his quarterback back from going to the next level as a young quarterback in the NFL. We all know Garrett as a conservative coach and I would imagine that would be frustrating as a quarterback when all you hear are negative things about your head coach. However, it doesn’t appear that was the case with Dak.
According to a coach, Garrett loved Prescott and Prescott loved Garrett. I mentioned earlier that Garrett would defend his quarterback against Kitna, but Garrett also defended his quarterback when it came to Jerry Jones questioning him in staff meetings.
Maybe Dak Prescott doesn’t want to be a Cowboy long-term
The biggest nugget of all nuggets is that one coach told Broaddus that he’s not sure if Dak wants to remain in Dallas long-term. The coach went onto say that Dak would never say that publicly because he is such a professional, which he displayed right after the July 15 deadline passed.
I know for me, I have a list of reasons why Dak may not want to remain in Dallas long-term.
Does Dak still feel disrespected from the initial offer from the Cowboys?
Is he upset that Garrett was let go?
Is there a trust issue or does he not believe in the organization?
Those are just a few of the possible reasons he may feel that way, if what the unnamed coach said is true. Just when you think the Dak-Dallas storyline will go way for a little bit, another nugget comes out. So unfortunately, this will come up again next offseason.
- Rangers fans get possible look at the future in Vanderbilt pitchers at College World Series
- FC Dallas against Minnesota ends in a draw as Toyota Stadium is fully open
- In the midst of Pride Month, Rangers players and coaches share their thoughts on the eventual possibility of an openly gay teammate in MLB
- Dirk Nowitzki returns to Mavericks as special advisor to the franchise
- A major fork in the road is in front of Mark Cuban as owner of the Mavericks
- Rick Carlisle out as Mavericks coach after 13 seasons
- Doncic on Donnie Nelson’s exit from Dallas: ‘I’m not the one making decisions’
- Hoops Tank: Reaction to the Donnie Nelson news and questions about what could be next for the Mavericks
- The Rangers late offensive surges on the road: Encouraging or frustrating?
- In surprising development, the Mavericks and long-time GM Donnie Nelson agree to part ways