Quite the whirlwind in Dallas this week as the Mavericks front office is going through a makeover. Longtime team president Donnie Nelson and the Mavericks agreed to part ways following The Athletic’s report discussing friction and dysfunction in the front office regarding Donnie Nelson, Haralabob Voulgaris, and Luka Doncic.
For the man who acquired Luka Doncic, and Dirk Nowitzki, for the franchise, the lingering question remained: how does Luka feel about Nelson’s departure?
“It was kind of tough to me. I really like Donnie,” Doncic said at a press conference for the Slovenia National Team on Thursday. “I know him since I was a kid and he was the one that drafted me. It was tough for me seeing that, but I’m not the one making decisions there.”
Luka Doncic, from Slovenia with his national team, on Donnie Nelson's Mavericks exit:
"It was kind of tough to me. I really like Donnie. I know him since I was a kid and he was the one that drafted me. It was tough for me seeing that, but I'm not the one making decisions there."
— Marc Stein (@TheSteinLine) June 17, 2021
Doncic had become close with Nelson as they’ve known each other since Doncic was a teenager. As far as when Luka first heard of the news, Brad Townsend of the Dallas Morning News reported that Doncic learned of Nelson’s departure yesterday, as Slovenia is seven hours ahead of Dallas.
Both Townsend and Tim Cato of The Athletic have reported that despite the shake up in the Mavericks’ front office, no plans have changed regarding Doncic signing the five-year, $201.5M supermax extension come August.
As Doncic looks to help Slovenia qualify for the Tokyo Olympics, Mark Cuban and company will begin their search for Nelson’s replacement.
- NFL Madden 22: Cooper seen as eighth best receiver in release day ratings
- Season Outlook: “Randy Gregory is going to make All-Pro”
- Luka scores 48, dominates Argentina in Olympic debut
- The Gold Cup leaves the DFW area following USMNT’s win on Sunday night
- Texas Rangers Fanatic Podcast Episode 28: Misery Loves Company
- Stars trade down, select Wyatt Johnston No. 23 overall
- Rangers are getting a look at Curtis Terry, but who plays second base?
- Season Outlook: What will it take for Prescott to win MVP in 2021?
- Dallas Cowboys training camp news: Elliott’s new physique shows increased motivation for 2021
- Smith, Vander Esch headline most intriguing position group to watch