The Dallas Cowboys have the 10th overall selection in the 2021 NFL draft in April. Even with a month to go, and college pro days underway, the Cowboys are heavily linked with several of the top defensive backs in this year’s class.
If the Cowboys do decide to select a defensive back, it will just be the third time in the past 12 drafts they decided to use their first-round pick on a defensive back.
Even more eye opening is 2016’s fourth-round pick, Anthony Brown, and 2017’s third-round pick, Jourdan Lewis, are the only one of 17 defensive backs drafted by Dallas since 2010 to be extended past their rookie contract.
Here’s a list of every defensive back drafted by Dallas since 2010:
- Trevon Diggs (2-51)
- Reggie Robinson II (4-123)
- Michael Jackson (5-158)
- Chidobe Awuzie (2-60)
- *Jourdan Lewis (3-92)
- Marquez White (6-216)
- *Anthony Brown (6-189)
- Byron Jones (1-27)
- Ahmad Dixon (7-248)
- Terrance Mitchell (7-254)
- J.J. Wilcox (3-80)
- B.W. Webb (4-114)
- Morris Claiborne (1-6)
- Matt Johnson (4-135)
- Josh Thomas (5-143)
- Akwasi Owusu-Ansah (4-126)
- Jamar Wall (6-196)
* indicates signed to a second contract with Dallas.
Trevon Diggs appears to have promise as he was often tasked with matching up against team’s best receiver due to Chidobe Awuzie missing key time and Jourdan Lewis not having the size to often do it.
Reggie Robinson II was moved to safety last season as Dallas desperately looked for help at the position, but will now slide back down to cornerback entering his sophomore season.
Awuzie was signed to a three-year deal by the Chicago Bears, while Lewis returns as the apparent slot corner for Dallas.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- The Rangers struggles on Friday were not the result of complacency following their series win in Tampa Bay
- Up and down April continues for the Mavericks with loss to the Knicks
- NFL Draft: What happened the last time Surtain, Diggs were a tandem?
- Season Outlook: 5 realistic steps Dallas can take to improve on defense
- What to watch for as the Mavericks take on the Knicks
- Luka Magic downs Memphis at the buzzer as the Mavs snap a two-game losing streak
- Why the Rangers offense isn’t as bad as you think
- Mock Draft Roundup 3.0: Analysts agree Surtain should be the top choice for Dallas
- What to watch for as the Mavericks take on the Grizzlies
- NFL Draft: 5 questions Dallas’ first-round pick could answer about this team