The Dallas Cowboys have the 10th overall selection in the 2021 NFL draft in April. Even with a month to go, and college pro days underway, the Cowboys are heavily linked with several of the top defensive backs in this year’s class.
If the Cowboys do decide to select a defensive back, it will just be the third time in the past 12 drafts they decided to use their first-round pick on a defensive back.
Even more eye opening is 2016’s fourth-round pick, Anthony Brown, and 2017’s third-round pick, Jourdan Lewis, are the only one of 17 defensive backs drafted by Dallas since 2010 to be extended past their rookie contract.
Here’s a list of every defensive back drafted by Dallas since 2010:
- Trevon Diggs (2-51)
- Reggie Robinson II (4-123)
- Michael Jackson (5-158)
- Chidobe Awuzie (2-60)
- *Jourdan Lewis (3-92)
- Marquez White (6-216)
- *Anthony Brown (6-189)
- Byron Jones (1-27)
- Ahmad Dixon (7-248)
- Terrance Mitchell (7-254)
- J.J. Wilcox (3-80)
- B.W. Webb (4-114)
- Morris Claiborne (1-6)
- Matt Johnson (4-135)
- Josh Thomas (5-143)
- Akwasi Owusu-Ansah (4-126)
- Jamar Wall (6-196)
* indicates signed to a second contract with Dallas.
Trevon Diggs appears to have promise as he was often tasked with matching up against team’s best receiver due to Chidobe Awuzie missing key time and Jourdan Lewis not having the size to often do it.
Reggie Robinson II was moved to safety last season as Dallas desperately looked for help at the position, but will now slide back down to cornerback entering his sophomore season.
Awuzie was signed to a three-year deal by the Chicago Bears, while Lewis returns as the apparent slot corner for Dallas.
- Analyzing the turmoil in the Rangers bullpen over the last month
- The Great Dane: What’s helping Dunning find success as a starter for the Rangers?
- Stars top Kraken in 7; face Vegas in conference final for second time in four years
- With Corey Seager Returning, how do the Rangers juggle their bench options?
- New Rangers Approach Paying Dividends on Offense
You must be logged in to post a comment Login
You must log in to post a comment.