2018-2019 NHL season stats: 10 goals, 35 assists
We kick off our 2019 Top 20 Current DFW athletes list with a suave, Swedish hockey player. Stars’ defenseman John Klingberg is about to begin his sixth NHL season with the team that drafted him back in 2010. The 2010’s have been a decade of looking for quality help on the blue line for Dallas GM Jim Nill and the various coaches who have been behind the boards throughout the up-and-down decade. Now at age 27, Klingberg is in the prime of his career and is paired with young superstar Miro Heiskanen to make quite the formidable duo for the Stars d-line.
Born in the large city of Gothenburg, Sweden, Klingberg was born into a hockey-playing family. His father is a coach and his older brother, Carl, is also a professional hockey player who has had a few different short stints in the NHL but currently plays in the top hockey league in Switzerland, the National League A.
Dallas recognized what it had in Klingberg and wrapped him up to a long-term contract after just his first full season in the NHL after the 2014-2015 campaign that saw him named as a member of the All-Rookie first team. He has rewarded the franchise with a high-level of play that led to being an All-Star in 2018 and scoring the most memorable goal of the 2018-2019 Stars season: the series-clinching goal in the first round series against the Nashville Predators that sent the Metroplex into a hockey buzz that lingered for the next few weeks.
Future Outlook: With a pair of top defensemen in Klingberg and Heiskanen in addition to their other slew of “stars,” there seems to be a lot to look forward to in Victory Green Land the next few seasons. Building off a playoff series victory with virtually the entirety of the core returning, Klingberg and his teammates will have very high expectations facing them this season. The aforementioned long-term contract has Klingberg under contract in Dallas for two more seasons after this one at $4.25 million per season.
Hopefully his magical goal in OT against Nashville was just the first of several key playoff goals in his Dallas Stars tenure.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Players across the WNBA express solidarity after nationwide protests
- Rangers Blast From The Past: Byrd’s Walk-Off Grand Slam Downs the Yankees
- PGA Tour set to tee it back up
- ‘Focus on today’: Don Kalkstein on mental health in the NBA & maneuvering through the COVID-19 pandemic
- With plenty of floating ideas, which is the best one to bring back the NBA?
- Dallas Stars Fanatic Podcast: More on the NHL’s plan to return to play
- Making sense of the “Return to Play” plan and how it affects the Stars
- Rangers broadcaster CJ Nitkowski discusses the possible routes to a 2020 season
- 2012 Rangers Bonus: How Texas fares in baseball simulation vs. Actual results
- Esports Trade Association President John Davidson talks connecting with the female audience and possible growth opportunities