FRISCO, TX- FC Dallas opened up their 25th season in Major League Soccer by besting Philadelphia Union 2-0 at Toyota Stadium on Saturday night.
Luchi Gonzalez showcased his starting lineup with the MLS debuts of Thiago Santos and Tanner Tessman, who both played outstanding games in the midfield. Both players lived up to expectations to control the pace and tempo of the game.
“Tanner earned the opportunity tonight,” said head coach Luchi Gonzalez. “Showing composure, confidence, and I’m proud of him.” Successfully stopping Philadelphia’s counters, they both controlled the midfield in a way that made FCD’s game enjoyable to watch and victorious.
FCD played a massive role in maintaining possession throughout the field. Fafa Picault and Michael Barrios both had opportunities but were shut down by the Philadelphia defense early on. Both teams were unable to score in the first half.
Second Half Action
Fifteen minutes into the second half, Zdenek Ondrasek put FCD ahead of Philadelphia after his shot from outside the box made it to the back of the net.
— Major League Soccer (@MLS) March 1, 2020
With seconds left on the clock in stoppage time, Paxton Pomykal showcased his inner Messi as he converted the second goal of the night. Following a great assist from Tanner Tessman, Paxton managed to sneak his shot to the back of the net.
GOAL FOR PAXTON POMYKAL!pic.twitter.com/55TVJBW8jL
— USMNT Only (@usmntonly) March 1, 2020
“Thank you to our fans, the energy was phenomenal,” Luchi Gonzalez said after the game. “They pushed us and help us a lot throughout the game.”
Brazilian center-back Matheus Bressan commented on his fellow Brazilian teammate Thiago Santos, “Thiago’s integration to the team helps me feel more like home.”
Santos commented on his own game, “I’d say it was good, thanks to God I was able to have a good debut. Game by game I’ll look to get better.”
Tonight’s win extends FCD’s Home Opener unbeaten streak to eleven games. FC Dallas returns to Toyota Stadium next Saturday when they host Thierry Henry’s Montreal Impact. This match will also mark the return of former FCD player Maximiliano Urruti.
“Congrats to the boys, because the season is long,” Luchi finalized. “We need to be steady and earn more points on Saturday against Montreal.”
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Mavericks look to extend winning streak against the Rockets
- Luka and the Mavs make it happen when it counts in win over the Spurs
- How will the Rangers handle attendance in 2021 with Spring Training and the season approaching?
- Mavericks’ rookie Josh Green embraces the ‘dirty work’
- Three things to watch for as the Mavericks travel to San Antonio
- Reactions after Mavs snap three-game losing streak against Pacers
- Mavericks visit the Pacers as both teams fight through major injuries
- Three takeaways as the depleted Mavericks lose their third straight to Toronto
- Dallas Stars Fanatic Podcast: Stars enter 2021 season with question marks after delayed start
- What to watch for as the Mavericks look to bounce back against Toronto