Frisco, Tx- FC Dallas player Ricardo Pepi, 18, earned his first United States Men’s National Team call-up for the upcoming FIFA World Cup qualifier games in September.
Coming off after his game-winning penalty Wednesday night’s MLS All-Star game against the Liga MX All-Stars celebrated at the Banc of California Stadium, Ricardo Pepi received the well-deserved call-up from Gregg Berhalter for the upcoming USMNT games.
— Major League Soccer (@MLS) August 26, 2021
“This country has given my family so many opportunities and it really has helped me achieve my goals,” said Pepi to FC Dallas staff. “I said that when I made this decision it would be with the heart. It’s been made with the heart. If I put that jersey on, I am fighting for it until I can’t fight anymore.”
It is reported that Pepi will join the squad following this Saturday’s game against Austin FC.
Is this what you've all been waiting for? pic.twitter.com/e9w9trVQpo
— FC Dallas (@FCDallas) August 26, 2021
Ricardo Pepi also mentioned to FC Dallas staff how Gregg Berhalter influenced his decision in representing the United States:
“I spoke with Gregg (Berhalter), not just last month. He constantly followed up with me and called me twice after that. He showed me that I am special and I want to show him that I am ready for this moment.”
In the next couple of matches, Pepi will be accompanied by former FCD players Kellyn Acosta and Walker Zimmerman.
The USMNT will be playing three games in the FIFA International window; the team will go on the road as they’ll face El Salvador on Thursday, Sept. 2. The team will then host Canada in Nashville, Tennessee, on Sunday, Sept. 5. The team will then make the trip down to San Pedro Sula to face Honduras on Sept. 8 to finish the first three of 14 scheduled games for the upcoming 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers.
The 🇺🇸 squad that will open the 2022 @FIFAWorldCup Qualifying campaign.
Sept. 2 at 🇸🇻
Sept. 5 vs. 🇨🇦
Sept. 8 at 🇭🇳
— U.S. Soccer MNT (@USMNT) August 26, 2021
It will be exciting to see Pepi play at the International level alongside a very youthful USMNT squad. Pepi has scored nine goals in this 2021 MLS season in just 20 games.
- Recap: Cowboys dominate Eagles with big statement win in home opener on Monday Night Football
- Stat Check: 7 facts to know following the Cowboys’ week three win
- TweetCap: Fans react to Dallas’ blowout Monday night win over Philadelphia
- Jason Kidd already proving to be quite a change of pace as coach of the Mavericks
- Hoops Tank, episode 11: The most interesting things said or not said at Mavericks Media Day
- DSF Roundup: Writers give final thoughts on Cowboys, Eagles Monday night clash
- Game Preview: Last year’s Cowboys-Eagles meeting set the blueprint for this year’s offense
- Why the Rangers should bring back Charlie Culberson for another season
- Luka Doncic’s top five finish highlights three Mavericks in ESPN’s Top 100 NBArank
- FC Dallas interim head coach Marco Ferruzzi prepares for his first match