We all love lists. Lists are fun. They create discussion and debate. Who doesn’t love a good list? I could ask my friends to name their top five greatest guitar players and the number one response will almost always be different. One would say Jimi Hendrix. Another would say Steve Vai. Me, personally, I say Stevie Ray Vaughan is the greatest ever.
With Adrian Beltre’s retirement I had mulled over doing a list of the all-time greatest Texas Rangers third basemen. However, after doing research on the internet, I realized that a lot of local bloggers and members of the media had already published several on the subject. I didn’t want to do another cookie cutter piece so I decided to take it to the next level and list my all-time Texas Rangers team. For this I picked infielders and outfielders with reserves. I also chose three starting pitchers and three relief pitchers.
This being an opinion piece I did choose some factors like playing time which is why you won’t see Ferguson Jenkins on the list. I also chose personal reasons which is why the Rangers all-time saves leader, John Wetteland, didn’t make the cut. If his name is ever cleared from child sexual abuse charges I will reconsider him.
With that being said here is my list.
1B: Rafael Palmeiro (Reserve: Pete O’Brien)
2B: Michael Young (Reserve: Julio Franco)
3B: Adrian Beltre (Reserve: Buddy Bell)
SS: Alex Rodriguez (Reserve: Elvis Andrus)
C: Ivan Rodriguez (Reserve: Jim Sundberg)
DH: Mickey Tettleton (Reserve: Larry Parrish)
(Reserves: Rusty Greer, Jeff Burroughs, Nelson Cruz)
Now I know that nobody will 100% agree with me and that is the greatness of the list. Feel free to leave comments with your personal choices. Until next time, I’ll see you in the cheap seats!
James Holland is a contributing writer for Dallas Sports Fanatic. He is a lifelong fan of baseball and his hometown Texas Rangers. He has previously written for Yahoo! Sports and shutdowninning.com.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- ‘Focus on today’: Don Kalkstein on mental health in the NBA & maneuvering through the COVID-19 pandemic
- With plenty of floating ideas, which is the best one to bring back the NBA?
- Dallas Stars Fanatic Podcast: More on the NHL’s plan to return to play
- Making sense of the “Return to Play” plan and how it affects the Stars
- Rangers broadcaster CJ Nitkowski discusses the possible routes to a 2020 season
- 2012 Rangers Bonus: How Texas fares in baseball simulation vs. Actual results
- Esports Trade Association President John Davidson talks connecting with the female audience and possible growth opportunities
- Rangers Blast From The Past: Colby Lewis dominates in Seattle, but offense doesn’t break through until the 12th
- Should’ve been, could’ve been: The story of the 2012 Texas Rangers, Part Three
- How many quarterbacks are better than Dak Prescott?