The XFL enters week three of its second life with DFW’s team at 1-1 following their 25-18 win against the Los Angeles Wildcats last Sunday afternoon. The Renegades will be on the West coast again this week, this time up in the Pacific Northwest as they take on the Seattle Dragons at 4 PM on Saturday on FOX.
Here are ten things to know ahead of gametime (in no particular order):
- FOX’s number one broadcast team of Curt Menefee, Joel Klatt and Brock Huard will be on the call. After playing their first two games on ABC and ESPN, this will be Renegades fans’ first time to hear this team of familiar voices call a game for their team. Menefee is of course the host of the legendary FOX NFL pregame show and Klatt is the top color commentator for FOX’s college football coverage.
- The game with the highest attendance in the new XFL so far occurred in Seattle last weekend when the Dragons hosted the Tampa Bay Vipers at Century Link Field, home of the Seattle Seahawks and MLS’ Seattle Sounders FC. After 29,172 filled the lower level of the stadium last week, it’s reported by Yahoo! Sports this week that the team’s season ticket sales have surpassed 10,000.
Are you ready to Bring the Fire again this week? We need fans to bring their orange towels and get @CenturyLink_Fld rockin' Saturday.
If you need a towel, a limited quantity will be sold at the stadium.
— Seattle Dragons (@XFLDragons) February 19, 2020
- Seattle head coach Jim Zorn may not be the household name that Bob Stoops is, but he has plenty of coaching skins on the wall. After a long coaching career as an offensive assistant, he spent two years as the coach of the DFW-hated Washington Redskins from 2008-2009. Zorn went just 8-20 in those two seasons and was promptly dismissed. Not unfamiliar with Seattle’s love for football, Zorn played quarterback for the Seahawks from 1976-1984 (the franchise’s first years of existence) and also became their quarterbacks coach from 2001-2007.
- If you have been underwhelmed by the quarterback play of Phillip Nelson and Landry Jones (through three quarters) for the Renegades the first two weeks, then consider yourself lucky to have not had to watch Seattle QB Brandon Silvers in action thus far. The Troy alum was just 7-18 last week for 91 yards passing and 68 of those came on this one throw to WR Keenan Reynolds.
— Seattle Dragons (@XFLDragons) February 15, 2020
- It took until the fourth quarter of Dallas’ second game for them to score a touchdown. Things were very, very uninspiring on offense for the seven quarters of Dallas Renegades football, but luckily they came alive in the fourth quarter in Los Angeles last week. Landry Jones’ strong second half pushed him to over 300 yards passing on the day and that total already put him in the top five of passing QB’s in the XFL after just one game. The main thing that has stood out through two weeks of XFL play so far: there aren’t enough quality quarterbacks to go around. Hopefully week three will suggest otherwise.
The Renegades (1-1) and Dragons (1-1) will kick-off from Century Link Field today at 4 PM Central time on FOX.
ICYMI: Register for the Monster Hydro Stadium Blitz at Ford Stadium on Saturday, March 14th. You can get 20 percent off registration with promo code FAN20 here.
- How Jonah Heim is flourishing in his role as the primary catcher for the Rangers
- Victory Avenue Podcast Ep. 43: Christian Wood trade, Mavs take Jaden Hardy, and is JB leaving?
- Silver and Blue Podcast Episode 8: Pre-camp position previews – DT, DE, LB
- Stars reportedly nearing deal with former Knights, Sharks coach Peter Deboer
- Ezequiel Duran, Josh Smith Putting Rangers’ Youth Movement in Motion