The Dallas Mavericks (0-1) begin their second game of the regular season, facing the Utah Jazz (0-1) for their long-anticipated home opener. The Mavs fell short to the Spurs 101-100 on their rivals’ NBA Championship ring ceremony night. Meanwhile, the Jazz travel to Dallas after playing at home against the Houston Rockets last night, losing in a 104-93 fashion.
Mavs Projected Starters
PG: Jameer Nelson
SG: Monta Ellis
SF: Chandler Parsons
PF: Dirk Nowitzki
C: Tyson Chandler
Jazz Projected Starters
PG: Trey Burke
SG: Alec Burks
SF: Gordon Hayward
PF: Derrick Favors
C: Enes Canter
What to Watch For:
Battle of the Big Contracts – Chandler Parsons vs. Gordon Hayward
After watching the Mavs-Spurs matchup, there was much disappointment floating in the air in regards to Chandler Parsons’ debut. The 26-year old forward signed a three-year deal worth $46 million this summer finished his debut just 5 points, shooting 20% from the field. Utah made a big splash of their own, re-signing Gordon Hayward to a max deal worth $63 million. Gordon last night recorded 8 points off 27% shooting. It’ll be interesting to see how these two guys redeem themselves tonight, especially when they are guarding each other.
Small Ball Basketball
The main thing that should be paid attention to is Rick Carlisle’s small ball lineups. In the previous game, Carlisle surprisingly in the rotation had three guards on the court to get the upper-hand in transition offense against the Spurs. The Jazz are a team full of young guards like Alec Burks, Trey Burke, and promising Australian rookie Dante Exum. Tonight, expect a lot of usage of the guards from both teams on the court.
Monta Ellis had an incredible season opening performance vs. San Antonio. He finished the game with 26 points, 6 assists, and 4 rebounds. He also shot over 50% from the field and three-point line. Ellis made scoring the basketball looked effortless on Tuesday night, easily getting open looks off-the-dribble on pick-n-rolls. Monta Ellis should bring that same killer scoring mentality from Tuesday night into today’s game.
Tipoff is at 7:30 CST and the game is broadcasted on Fox Sports Southwest.
Photo Credits: Andrew Bernstein / Getty Images (Parsons/Hayward)
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Mavericks lose 134-131 thriller to Lillard, Blazers; locked into 7th seed
- Dallas Stars Fanatic Podcast: Breaking down Game One loss to Calgary
- Keeping It Semi-Casual: The greatness of Rangers stadiums and other venues with Alex Plinck
- Playoff seeding implications on the line as Mavericks play the Blazers
- Five Key Points: Previewing Dallas (3) vs Calgary (7)
- Tim Hardaway Jr. and Mavs role players step up to handle the Jazz in the second half
- What to watch for as Mavericks take on the Jazz
- 23-year-old Collin Morikawa wins the PGA Championship
- Rangers sweep Angels thanks to oddities and a Lance Lynn milestone
- No shortage of amazement for Luka Doncic’s insane pass late in the Mavs win over the Bucks