Now 1-0 after acquiring Rajon Rondo, the Dallas Mavericks (20-8) take on the Atlanta Hawks (19-7). Both teams are coming off solid victories with the Atlanta Hawks defeating the Houston Rockets and Mavs defeating the San Antonio Spurs. 5 of their total 7 losses have come on the road this year while they are 12-2 at home. This will be one of those games to test just how good the Mavs are right now.
Game at Hand:
The Hawks just may be one of the most underrated teams in the NBA. The Mavs do come in with an advantage as Atlanta’s leading scorer, Jeff Teague, has a bad hamstring and is doubtful for Monday nights game. Dennis Schröder and Shelvin Mack will look to fill in for his absence. With Teague out, a major emphasis will be put on the already important low post of the Atlanta Hawks. Al Horford and Paul Millsap will lead the way and will truly test the limited depth that the Mavs currently have since the Rondo trade.
For the Mavericks the true potential of what Rondo can do was shown Saturday against the Spurs. He wowed the crowed with dazzling passes and court vision. Dirk Nowitzki has really been struggling of late shot only 4 of 14 Saturday. With a tough matchup against Paul Millsap we may need even more from Rondo, and of course our go to Monta Ellis who has been outstanding of late.
— Dallas Mavericks (@dallasmavs) December 22, 2014
Matchup of the Night:
While who wins the matchup down low will be very important, the matchup of the night is Chandler Parsons versus Kyle Korver. Korver is coming off a 22-point performance and is shooting 54% from three. We’ve all seen the Mavs struggles this year guarding the perimeter so the speed of Parsons close outs to put a hand in Korver’s face will be very important. While needing to play good defense we have seen just how different this Mavs offense is when Parsons is playing aggressive and making open threes. So Parsons will need to step up on both sides of the ball.
Tip off starts at 7:30 CST at American Airlines center on Fox Sports Southwest.
- Stars trade down, select Wyatt Johnston No. 23 overall
- Rangers are getting a look at Curtis Terry, but who plays second base?
- Season Outlook: What will it take for Prescott to win MVP in 2021?
- Dallas Cowboys training camp news: Elliott’s new physique shows increased motivation for 2021
- Smith, Vander Esch headline most intriguing position group to watch
- Oxnard Press Conference: Prescott slated to be a full go for training camp
- Rangers trying to find any way possible out of their current slump
- Hoops Tank: Kidd/Harrison first impressions and naming former Mavs on recent championship teams
- Dallas Stars Fanatic Podcast: Heiskanen extended; who can Dallas lose in expansion draft?
- VIDEO: BTS from Big 12 FB Media Days