Maurice Linguist, 35, is the new defensive backs coach for the Dallas Cowboys. Linguist is from Mesquite, Texas and most recently was the Texas A&M cornerbacks coach.
Linguist went to Baylor for college where he played safety (2003-2006) for the Bears and received his Bachelors degree in communications in 2006. In 2007, he received a Masters in Health, Human Performance, and Recreation.
Linguist began coaching in 2007 as a Baylor graduate assistant/safeties coach. He quickly moved on from that position in 2008 where he took over as the Valdosta State defensive backs coach/special teams coach.
Before becoming one of the best young assistants with the Aggies, he spent 2009-2017 as the defensive backs coach at James Madison, Buffalo, Iowa State and Mississippi State.
While speaking with the media, Linguist said he will spend the majority of his time with the safeties and slot corners. Former cornerback, Al Harris will work with the cornerbacks.
“Ballhawks,” Linguist replied when asked the type of safeties he wants. “If you are looking at an elite defensive player, you want somebody who can be aggressive to the ball and go make plays on the ball.”
Linguist also addressed getting more interceptions for the Cowboys.
“Everything begins with a mental approach. It has to consume you, you have to be obsessed with it. So that’s going to be a big piece on how we build our unit on the back end.”
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Three takeaways as the depleted Mavericks lose their third straight to Toronto
- Dallas Stars Fanatic Podcast: Stars enter 2021 season with question marks after delayed start
- What to watch for as the Mavericks look to bounce back against Toronto
- A couple of takeaways from the Mavericks 117-101 loss to the Bulls.
- Photos: Mavs vs Bulls (January 17, 2021)
- Will the Mavs overcome late-game woes against the skidding Chicago Bulls?
- Predicting the 2021 Texas Rangers Roster Configuration: Outfield and DH
- Late game miscues stand out as Mavericks fall to the Bucks in Milwaukee
- Texas Rangers Fanatic Podcast Episode 19: The holidays are not over w/ Wes Benjamin
- As Kristaps Porzingis returns, the Mavericks are poised to take the league by storm