Maurice Linguist, 35, is the new defensive backs coach for the Dallas Cowboys. Linguist is from Mesquite, Texas and most recently was the Texas A&M cornerbacks coach.
Linguist went to Baylor for college where he played safety (2003-2006) for the Bears and received his Bachelors degree in communications in 2006. In 2007, he received a Masters in Health, Human Performance, and Recreation.
Linguist began coaching in 2007 as a Baylor graduate assistant/safeties coach. He quickly moved on from that position in 2008 where he took over as the Valdosta State defensive backs coach/special teams coach.
Before becoming one of the best young assistants with the Aggies, he spent 2009-2017 as the defensive backs coach at James Madison, Buffalo, Iowa State and Mississippi State.
While speaking with the media, Linguist said he will spend the majority of his time with the safeties and slot corners. Former cornerback, Al Harris will work with the cornerbacks.
“Ballhawks,” Linguist replied when asked the type of safeties he wants. “If you are looking at an elite defensive player, you want somebody who can be aggressive to the ball and go make plays on the ball.”
Linguist also addressed getting more interceptions for the Cowboys.
“Everything begins with a mental approach. It has to consume you, you have to be obsessed with it. So that’s going to be a big piece on how we build our unit on the back end.”
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Another disappointing second half as Mavericks fall to Suns
- Class in session: What we learned from the Rangers this past week
- Mavericks look to clinch first playoff birth since 2015-16 against Suns
- Satou Sabally asserts dominance, earns first career double-double
- Mavs loss on Friday night is the first reminder in months of the team’s greatest weakness
- Four takeaways as the Mavs drop a heartbreaker to Houston
- Mavericks Restart Roundtable: Scrimmage reactions and playoff seeding predictions
- What to watch for as the Mavs restart the season against Houston
- A family reunion in San Francisco for Rangers OF Scott Heineman
- Rangers send Ronald Guzman down and take another hit with Leclerc heading to IL