Scott McCurley, 39, is the new Dallas Cowboys linebackers coach. McCurley is originally from New Castle, Pennsylvania and has been with the Green Bay Packers organization since 2006 when he interned under Mike McCarthy.
In Green Bay, McCurley also spent time as defensive quality control coach, assistant linebackers coach and most recently was the defensive assistant coach.
When Dom Capers was the defensive coordinator with the Packers (2009-2017), McCurley worked closely with Capers on the scouting reports and game plans. That is a role that McCurley was able to learn a lot.
“It’s huge because you really get to see Dom’s thoughts and how he’s putting everything together. It’s been huge for my development,” McCurley said before being promoted to assistant linebackers coach in 2015.
In 2015, McCurley helped Clay Matthews transition from outside linebacker to inside linebacker, which helped Matthews to a Pro Bowl season.
“The place, the people and the environment,” McCurley when asked about his first impressions of Dallas.
Leadership and competitive spirit are the two things McCurley mentioned when asked about what type of mentality he wants to bring to this linebacking core. He stressed the importance of having guys that love to compete.
He is excited to get to work with Jaylon Smith and Leighton Vander Esch and possibly Sean Lee and build off what they have done in the NFL.
McCurley described himself as a “demanding” coach, but strives to be the same person everyday and say within himself.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Rangers Blast From The Past: Vicente Padilla’s gem and Michael Young Clutch double lifts Rangers over Royals.
- PHOTOS: Protesters gather in Dallas
- Mavericks’ Justin Jackson, “it’s very important to people to stand up for what’s right.”
- Players across the WNBA express solidarity after nationwide protests
- Rangers Blast From The Past: Byrd’s Walk-Off Grand Slam Downs the Yankees
- PGA Tour set to tee it back up in Fort Worth
- ‘Focus on today’: Don Kalkstein on mental health in the NBA & maneuvering through the COVID-19 pandemic
- With plenty of floating ideas, which is the best one to bring back the NBA?
- Dallas Stars Fanatic Podcast: More on the NHL’s plan to return to play
- Making sense of the “Return to Play” plan and how it affects the Stars