When I think of those who played center field for the Texas Rangers throughout their history (that I’ve personally witnessed) three names stand out: Oddibe McDowell, Rusty Greer and Josh Hamilton. Since Hamilton, there have been a number of players at that position but none have really had the longevity.
Let’s run down the list:
Joey Gallo (just a few games but he’s now primarily left field)
And on-again-off-again since 2015 is Delino Deshields.
I think I recall my dear sweet Granny playing center one year but that may also have been a night when I had one too many Jagermeister shots.
The Rangers have put a lot of faith in DeShields, though his career has been a roller coaster of time in the big leagues and time spent in the minors.
Delino has the fielding. He makes spectacular plays in the outfield. He has the speed. I’ll put him against Royals speedster Billy Hamilton in a 40-yard dash any day. He has the ability to be the next great center fielder in Rangers history but it’s his offensive game that detracts from all of that. He came into Wednesday’s game hitting .067 with one hit, though it was a big hit, a grand slam that helped the Rangers beat the Cubs.
— Texas Rangers (@Rangers) March 31, 2019
I really hope this is the year that he finally succeeds but he has to improve at the plate. He’s not just hitting below the Mendoza line (.200 batting average for those who are not familiar with term) he’s also hitting behind the Holland line (.100 batting average I named after myself because I was a horrible little league player).
The Rangers need his defense. They need his ability to steal bases in crucial moments. He doesn’t need, or want, to be relegated to a pinch runner/defensive replacement role. He needs to step up at the plate. If that doesn’t happen this year then the Rangers need to seriously look in the offseason for someone who can.
- Cowboys: 2020 Mock Draft Watch 1.0
- Mavericks fall to Clippers as Dwight Powell injures Achilles, likely out for the season
- Photos: Mavs vs Clippers (January 21, 2020)
- Mailbag: Biggest draft need for the Cowboys?
- Photos: SMU vs Temple (January 18, 2020)
- Should Dallas entertain a Dez Bryant reunion?
- Five potential trade targets for the Mavericks
- What the latest Nolan Arenado drama with the Rockies means for the Rangers
- Tim Hardaway Jr. continuing to help Mavs thrive in starting lineup role
- Mavericks Weekly Preview (1/20-1/26)