As we continue to fight against the stranglehold COVID-19 is having on the U.S. economy and state of life, President Donald Trump announced Tuesday that he is assembling a committee of notable figures to help figure out the most effective way to re-open the country in the coming weeks/months. The figures ranged from names like Apple’s Tim Cook to sports commissioners like the NFL’s Roger Gooddell and the NBA’s Adam Silver.
Notable sports figures also include DFW’s own Jerry Jones and Mark Cuban. New England Patriots’ owner Robert Kraft was another non-commissioner figure included on the committee.
The Cowboys owner is about as respected of a businessman as there is in football and is obviously someone who catches the eye of a larger than life figure like President Trump. Similarly, Cuban is a highly respected business figure with his toes in many different business waters, including occasionally squaring off against Trump on various political matters.
President Donald Trump says pro sports commissioners, cowboys owner Jerry Jones, Patriots Owner Robert Kraft and Mavs owner Mark Cuban are among those that will be consulted about re-opening the country/economy. pic.twitter.com/ehaBA2pi8k
— Malika Andrews (@malika_andrews) April 14, 2020
The President has been very vocal recently about the importance of getting the country back to normal as soon as possible in light of the economic hardships millions of U.S. citizens and countless businesses have been facing thanks to the coronavirus pandemic.
He has not hesitated to mention sports as one of the important things to get going.
“We want to get our sports back,” he says in the clip above from Tuesday afternoon. “I’m tired of watching baseball games that are 14 years old.”
Presidents: They’re just like us.
On the Cuban and Jones front, it’s funny how sometimes we can forget that we have two of the most iconic owners in all of sports in the DFW area. Sometimes we might just think of Jerry’s insane postgame media scrums or Cuban’s screaming from his baseline seats in a Mavs shirt to just be our little community secret, but these are undoubtedly two of the highest profile figures in the country, sports or not.
So many teams just have faceless owners who seem to just write (or don’t write) checks, but not here.
Hopefully Jones and Cuban are able to contribute a lot to this committee that aids our country in working its way towards getting back to normal.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Stars Win Second in a Row Against the Predators
- Problems arise in Mavericks worst loss of the season to the Rockets
- Mavericks look to extend winning streak against the Rockets
- Luka and the Mavs make it happen when it counts in win over the Spurs
- How will the Rangers handle attendance in 2021 with Spring Training and the season approaching?
- Mavericks’ rookie Josh Green embraces the ‘dirty work’
- Three things to watch for as the Mavericks travel to San Antonio
- Reactions after Mavs snap three-game losing streak against Pacers
- Mavericks visit the Pacers as both teams fight through major injuries
- Three takeaways as the depleted Mavericks lose their third straight to Toronto