If you’re a fan of FC Dallas or a follower of US Soccer, then you are most likely very familiar with the name Kellyn Acosta. However, for those who don’t follow FC Dallas or US Soccer, the name is most likely not one you know. But that should change.
After joining the FC Dallas youth academy as a 13 year old, the Plano native starred and earned a professional contract at 16. He made his professional debut in the 2013 and after an injury plagued 2014 season, he found himself in a new role at a new position for the 2015 season.
Kellyn has developed into a week in week out starter and it seams that each year he reaches new heights, which is exactly what you want to see from a young player. However, this year seems to be the real breakout year for him with what has been called on Twitter “#TheYearOfKellyn”
This season we’ve seen Kellyn bag three goals and two assists in MLS play, as well as three more goals in the 2016-2017 CONCACAF Champions League, where he played a vital part in FC Dallas making the semi-finals. While these don’t seem like huge numbers, it does make Kellyn the leading goal scorer in MLS at his position of central midfield, where goals aren’t all that common.
But the real noise coming from #TheYearOfKellyn has been due to his breakthrough with the US National Team. While Kellyn has represented the US at the U17, U18, U20, and U23 level, those appearances came mainly at the fullback position and not his preferred central midfield. However, with Bruce Arena taking over the national team, we’ve finally seen a commitment to play Kellyn at his preferred position and it has let him thrive.
Acosta showed well in the pivotal World Cup Qualifier in Mexico where the US pulled out a draw and a vital point. In the last match Kellyn scored the game winning goal against Ghana with a beautiful free kick, giving him his first goal with the national team.
As we gear up for this Summer’s CONCACAF Gold Cup, Kellyn is shaping up to be one of the stars of the tournament and looking to help
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Two key areas of inconsistency show as Mavs squander late lead over Nuggets
- Texas Rangers Fanatic Podcast Episode 20: Hip Hip Hooray with Jose Trevino
- Photos: Stars vs Predators – Jan. 25th, 2021
- Mavericks still searching for any bit of consistency as they host the Nuggets
- Stars Win Second in a Row Against the Predators
- Problems arise in Mavericks worst loss of the season to the Rockets
- Mavericks look to extend winning streak against the Rockets
- Luka and the Mavs make it happen when it counts in win over the Spurs
- How will the Rangers handle attendance in 2021 with Spring Training and the season approaching?
- Mavericks’ rookie Josh Green embraces the ‘dirty work’