It feels like the relaunched XFL has been just a thing in the distant future for several years now. With its inaugural draft completed on Wednesday, it is officially a very real thing that gets underway in just a few months.
The Dallas Renegades, led by legendary Oklahoma Sooners coach Bob Stoops, finally have a roster to work with and it has plenty of notable names with local ties with 15 of their 71 players coming from Texas hometowns.
Notable picks include:
QB – Landry Jones
Each franchise was assigned a quarterback before the draft and Dallas received former OU standout Jones, who played with Stoops from 2009-2012.
The 30 year old New Mexico native was a fourth round draft pick of the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2013. Over the course of five NFL seasons, he appeared in 19 games with just five of those being starts in place of Steelers legend Ben Roethlisberger.
Jones was actually the first player to sign with a XFL team when he agreed to a deal with Dallas back in August.
WR – Jeff Badet
Badet was Dallas’ first draft pick on Tuesday. He transferred to Oklahoma after playing his freshman through junior years at the University of Kentucky. During his senior year at OU in 2017, Badet totaled 441 yards from 26 receptions while helping the Sooners reach the College Football Playoff and taking part in the epic 2018 Rose Bowl that featured Jake Fromm, Sony Michel and the Georgia Bulldogs take down Baker Mayfield, Badet and the rest of the Sooners in double-overtime. Another Renegades draft pick, running back Dmitri Flowers, was also suited up for Oklahoma in that game.
RB – Lance Dunbar
Another player with local ties, Dunbar spent five of his six NFL seasons as a member of the Dallas Cowboys. He also was a collegiate star at the University of North Texas from 2008-2011. The 29 year old Haltom City native last appeared in the NFL in 2017 with the Los Angeles Rams.
During his time in Dallas, Dunbar was primarily a backup running back and a threat in the return game. In 54 games in a Cowboys uniform, he totaled 1,120 scrimmage yards. He was cut from the Rams in early 2018.
The entire Renegades roster can be found on the team website.
Be on the lookout on Thursday as the team will partner with the Texas Rangers and North Texas Soccer Club to announce the changes being made to the beloved Globe Life Park in Arlington so that the venue can be the home of NTSC and the Renegades in 2020.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Up and down April continues for the Mavericks with loss to the Knicks
- NFL Draft: What happened the last time Surtain, Diggs were a tandem?
- Season Outlook: 5 realistic steps Dallas can take to improve on defense
- What to watch for as the Mavericks take on the Knicks
- Luka Magic downs Memphis at the buzzer as the Mavs snap a two-game losing streak
- Why the Rangers offense isn’t as bad as you think
- Mock Draft Roundup 3.0: Analysts agree Surtain should be the top choice for Dallas
- What to watch for as the Mavericks take on the Grizzlies
- NFL Draft: 5 questions Dallas’ first-round pick could answer about this team
- Mavericks have no answer for Joel Embiid in loss to 76ers on Monday night