The 2019 NBA Draft certainly had a different feel to it for the Dallas Mavericks.
Last year, the Mavericks held the 5th pick in the 2018 Draft, which of course, ended up landing Luka Doncic in Dallas after a swap with Atlanta for Trae Young and Dallas’ first round pick this year, leaving the Mavericks with just a solo second round pick for 2019.
To begin the night, Dallas sat with the 37th pick yet when they were on the clock, the Mavericks ended up trading the pick to the Detroit Pistons for the 45th pick, where the Mavericks selected Isaiah Roby, power forward out of Nebraska.
“Of course I can’t comment on any players involved,” Donnie Nelson said following the selection. Though the Mavericks landed Roby, because of the trade with Detroit, Nelson and the Mavericks can’t comment until the trade is finalized, which Nelson said would be “sometime next week”.
Dallas also received two future second round picks in the deal with Detroit. “Let’s just say we got the same exact same thing we were looking for. Plus-plus.”
The 6-foot-8 junior averaged 11.8 points and 6.9 rebounds this past season for the Cornhuskers. Roby is known for his defensive versatility, standing with a 7-foot-1 wingspan, and compelling athleticism.
Roby also has a nice handle for his size and is comfortable pushing the ball in transition. His jump shot could certainly use some work to add consistency as well as bulking up his frame.
“We’re happy. We’re elated. It was a really good night for us.”
- Porzingis continues to take steps in the right direction in Mavs win over the Raptors
- Derek Holland hosts charity event to raise support in the fight against Pediatric Cancer
- KP’s return to New York spoiled by the Knicks in disappointing loss
- Dallas Stars Mid-November report card: Another strong two weeks
- Dallas Renegades to host fan event in Arlington
- D-Town Sports Bar Podcast Ep1: Ian Begley of SNY joins inaugural pod to talk Porzingis and Mavs!
- Will offensive production find its way to these three players?
- Cowboys Mailbag: Is Garrett’s replacement on staff; time to make Dak highest paid?
- Dallas Cowboys: Week 10 Stock Report
- Ep. 13: Cowboys-Vikings, Garrett’s Accountability, Porzingis Struggles, & Carlisle’s Rotations