DALLAS, Texas–The 2017-2018 NBA season began in earnest for the Dallas Mavericks as they defeated the Milwaukee Bucks 106-104 in the opening game of the preseason.
It ended with spice as rookie Jonathan Motley made a game-winning shot in the paint with just over four seconds remaining.
Jonathan Motley with the game winner for the Mavs!
— NBA SKITS (@NBA_Skits) October 3, 2017
The game was divided into two very different halves: the first half that resembled a regular season game, and a second half that was as preseason as a preseason game could be.
To open the game, the Mavericks trotted out the starting lineup that coach Rick Carlisle stated would likely be in place when the regular season tips off in two weeks. Dirk Nowitzki started at center, Harrison Barnes and Wesley Matthews as the forwards, and Dennis Smith Jr. and Seth Curry making up the backcourt.
The rookie point guard showed both flashes of his brilliance and moments that hinted at his learning process in the league throughout his 12 minutes. No Mavericks starter played more than 12 minutes and none of them played in the second half.
Notable standouts off the Dallas bench were Dwight Powell (9 points in 12 minutes) and Yogi Ferrell (12 points in 18 minutes). Both were a part of a very exciting lineup that played a large portion of the 2nd quarter together. A three point guard lineup of Ferrell, J.J. Barea and Devin Harris paired with a front court of Powell and Dwight Powell. The lineup showed a ton of speed, highlight-worthy potential even though it gave up a decent amount of points.
Among the cluster of players battling for the final roster spot(s), rookie Gian Clavell logged a team-high 21 minutes and scored 11 points on 3-7 shooting. The only player on the Mavericks roster to not get on the court was 20-year-old P.J. Dozier out of South Carolina. In addition to Motley’s game-winning shot, he added 5 boards and was a major energy presence during his 9 minutes of playing time.
Rashad Vaughn led the Bucks with 20 points off the bench.
The Mavericks will continue their preseason schedule on Wednesday when they host the Chicago Bulls at 7:30 pm CST. Stay tuned to Dallas Sports Fanatic for the latest Mavs news and updates.
Rick Carlisle Postgame Press Conference:
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Martin, Smith named to NFL’s 2010s All-Decade Team
- Which rookie cornerback would be the best fit for Dallas?
- In sports, money isn’t everything
- The unfortunate truth of the Rangers and baseball’s 2020 season
- Biggest beneficiaries from the Mavs if the remainder of the 2019-2020 NBA season is lost
- Stars public address announcer uses voice to raise money amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Working from Home Like a Pro
- FC Dallas Patiently Waiting to Return to Normal Activities
- Cowboys Mailbag: DeMarcus Lawrence still an elite pass rusher?
- Most and least valuable 2020 Dallas Stars contracts