DALLAS, TX- It was Rajon Rondo Day at the American Airlines Center as the Dallas Mavericks played host to the San Antonio Spurs at the American Airlines Center in the highly anticipated debut of newly acquired point guard Rajon Rondo. The Spurs played tonight’s game without the services of Tim Duncan (rest), Manu Ginobili (rest), Kawhi Leonard (hand) and Tony Parker (hamstring) who were all out in what was the second night of a back-to-back for the Spurs, after a triple overtime loss to the Portland Trailblazers.
In the first half, the Mavs were unable to feed on the energy of the excitement of Rondo’s debut. The offense worked slowly through their offensive sets, almost as if they were in morning shoot around. Rondo, brought energy and tenacity on both ends of the floor, finishing the first half with 0 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists while being forced into 3 turnovers. Monta Ellis again played the role of sparkplug holding everything together for the Mavs offensively, finishing the first half with 18 points as the Mavs went into halftime trailing 47-42.
Carlisle on Monta: He was the best player on the court today.
— DallasSportsFanatic (@Dallas_Fanatic) December 21, 2014
The Mavs continued to scratch and clawed their way back into position in the third quarter, closing the deficit to 2 points by the end of the third quarter. Then, in the fourth quarter, Monta Ellis took over scoring 11 of his 38 points in the final four minutes of the game, going 15 of 23 (65.2 percent) from the floor including 5 of 6 (83.3 percent) from the three-point line leading the Mavs to a 99-93 victory.
While it’s clear the new addition of Rondo to this system will take some time, the Mavericks still have the ability to feed off of the crowd and get into an uptempo type style of basketball. It’s easy when you have “Monta Have It All” Ellis getting into that mode in the closing minutes of ball games.
Up Next: The Mavericks will spend the rest of their weekend at home, and prepare for the Atlanta Hawks (19-7), who took down the Rockets earlier tonight. The Hawks have won 12 out of their last 13, and are one of the hottest teams in basketball right now.
Photo Credit: InTheMomentPics
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- As Kristaps Porzingis returns, the Mavericks are poised to take the league by storm
- A couple takeaways from The Mavericks 104-93 win over the Hornets
- What to watch for as short-handed Mavericks face the Hornets
- Mark Cuban is open to hosting vaccinated healthcare workers for free at Mavs games later this season
- Predicting the 2021 Texas Rangers Roster Configuration: Infield and Catcher
- Five plays that defined the Dallas Cowboys 2020 season
- The return of Porzingis? Unanswered COVID questions? Mavs/Pelicans bring a ton to the table on Monday
- From bad to worse: Kleber news takes Mavs’ COVID situation to a place that will be hard to handle
- The Home Court Show: Mavs take down the Magic thanks to the hot shooting of Tim Hardaway Jr.
- Predicting the 2021 Texas Rangers Roster Configuration: the Bullpen