DALLAS, Texas (American Airlines Center) – The Dallas Mavericks kicked off their Inaugural Women’s Symposium Monday night in celebration of “Being the Best You.”
The Women of Mavs Empowering Network (W.O.M.EN.) called on both women and men of all backgrounds to come together for an evening of stories, laughter, and female empowerment.
Mavs assistant coach Jenny Boucek was in attendance sharing her experiences on being a Maverick Woman. Boucek was specifically asked if the timeline for a woman in an NBA head coaching position was near and she was as straightforward as ever.
“Absolutely,” said Boucek. “Hammon (Becky) is ready and she would be great in that position. The time needs to start now because it doesn’t have anything to do with gender. We know basketball.”
In addition to being the keynote speaker, Maverick’s CEO Cynt Marshall was the absolute life of the party leading the ladies (and gentlemen) in dance to Aretha Franklin’s “Respect.”
Marshall emphasized that what is driving the Mavericks organization in a new direction is her self image of being a “practitioner of a values-based leadership.”
By opening up a discussion and placing importance on self-care, finding a purpose and leading with values, the Dallas Mavericks have shown out this Women’s History Month as a reminder that no matter your background, gender, or obstacles, always Be the Best You.
Guest speakers included:
- Ivy Awino- Mavericks in-arena DJ
- Jennifer Bartkowski- CEO Girl Scouts of Northeast Texas
- Jenny Boucek- Maverick’s assistant coach
- Vanessa Fernandes- Nordstrom Dallas market manager
- Jessica Jesse- Owner, BuDhaGirl
- Dana Larson- Sportscaster at Fox Sports Southwest
- Kate Weiser- Kate Weiser Chocolates
ABOUT W.O.M.E.N: The mission of W.O.M.E.N. is to empower and inspire women to achieve personal and professional success on and off the court and in the community.
- A couple takeaways from the Mavs’ tough loss in Miami
- Will the Renegades extend their winning streak against the undefeated Roughnecks?
- Stars stay quiet at trade deadline; exit February in thick of Central Division fight
- Mock Draft Roundup 3.0: Analysts make their final pre-combine selections
- What is success for the 2019-20 Dallas Mavericks
- A few final things to know about the new Globe Life Field
- FC Dallas ready to kick off its 25th MLS season: What’s in store for 2020?
- For one night, Mavs able to come up big in the clutch as they take down the Spurs
- Mike Minor enters 2020 with same questions despite coming off an All-Star campaign
- Mailbag: What to make of Emmitt’s comments; Who needs a bigger role in 2020?