“May the Lloyd be with you” – Scott Lloyd joins The Forgotten Maverick Podcast
Before Scott Lloyd joined the Mavericks for their inaugural season in the 1980-1981 campaign, one of the NBA teams he suited up for was the Buffalo Braves, now known as the Los Angeles Clippers.
During his time in Buffalo, a group of local high school students took a liking to Scott and formed “The Scott Lloyd Fan Club.” This group of fans would proudly cheer for LLoyd, developing their own secret handshake and even displaying 50 feet banners at Lloyd’s games with slogans such as “Great Scott – It’s Lloyd!,” “This is the Year of Our Lloyd,” “Llong Llive Lloyd,” and “May the Lloyd be with you.”
“These high school kids took a liking to me for some reason, and they started following me and putting up these banners. They had a little cheering section for me and stuff, and it was pretty funny. It’s actually kind of embarrassing, but they kind of followed me around, and it was fun.”
Eventually making his way to Dallas in October of 1980, Scott’s work ethic and hustle endeared him to fans of the city’s new team in this early Maverick years and he was appreciative of his opportunity and made the best of the situation.
“I came from just being cut, so I was excited to go anywhere. I was happy to go there, happy to show up, happy to have a uniform to put on….I think the guys that were there and ended up on the final roster were all happy to be here.”
Scott’s 2.5 year stint with the Mavs proved to be the final stop of his professional basketball career. Once his playing days were over, he provided color commentary for 2 seasons on Mavericks television broadcasts, and was on hand for the legendary “Moody Madness” game on April 26, 1984.
Today, Scott is the owner of the Ham Hula T-Shirt Company based in Dallas.
Thanks for listening, I hope you enjoy the episode. #MFFL
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Players across the WNBA express solidarity after nationwide protests
- Rangers Blast From The Past: Byrd’s Walk-Off Grand Slam Downs the Yankees
- PGA Tour set to tee it back up
- ‘Focus on today’: Don Kalkstein on mental health in the NBA & maneuvering through the COVID-19 pandemic
- With plenty of floating ideas, which is the best one to bring back the NBA?
- Dallas Stars Fanatic Podcast: More on the NHL’s plan to return to play
- Making sense of the “Return to Play” plan and how it affects the Stars
- Rangers broadcaster CJ Nitkowski discusses the possible routes to a 2020 season
- 2012 Rangers Bonus: How Texas fares in baseball simulation vs. Actual results
- Esports Trade Association President John Davidson talks connecting with the female audience and possible growth opportunities