(DALLAS, Texas) — On Friday, former two-time NBA All-Star and current Dallas Mavericks Vice President of Basketball Operations Michael Finley hosted his 3rd annual Michael Finley Foundation Charity Poker Challenge at Thanksgiving Tower in downtown Dallas. The entire team was in attendance, along with head coach Rick Carlisle and team owner Mark Cuban. Other notable attendees included former Mavs guard Jason Terry, Monta Ellis, Josh Howard, and Cedric Ceballos, former New York Knicks forward Charles Oakley, local news anchor Dale Hansen, former Dallas Cowboys linebacker Charles Haley, and former cornerback Ray Mickens.
All proceeds from the night benefitted the Giving Individuals Fundamental Tools 4 Success foundation (G.I.F.T.4.S.), the flagship program of The Michael Finley Foundation (TMFF). The former NBA champion, who played for 16 years and scored more than 2,000 points in his college career, founded G.I.F.T.4.S in July 2017 with 18 families; today, the Academy has 42 families. The program strives to uplift young people in the community to a place where success and leadership are familiar ideas in their lives. It is more than a student academy; it is a family endeavor.
“I feel very fortunate to be in a position to help others. The foundation gives me an opportunity to touch lives in my community,” said Finley. “My foundation team and I know this program will benefit many lives. The poker event is a way to have fun and support this extremely important initiative.”
Attendees of the event were awarded the opportunity to meet the team and hit some of the poker tables. Once the event began, those who had bought-in or donated were seated at each of the twenty tables, that included a current or former Mavericks player, including Cuban and Finley. Attendees played Texas hold’em and enjoyed complimentary food and drink while getting to interact and meet some of their favorite Mavs personalities.
Photos courtesy of Monica Borja/Dallas Mavericks
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- A couple of takeaways as the Mavericks escape the Magic in Orlando
- Stars Weekly: Stars limp into March after losing eight of last nine
- Dallas Stars Fanatic Podcast: Stars Backsliding after rough week- Can they catch up to Chicago down the stretch?
- What to watch for as the Mavericks take on the Magic
- Dissecting Game One of an Odd Spring Training for the Rangers
- Three thoughts as Kristaps Porzingis returns to the Mavs lineup in win over the Nets
- Joey Gallo is Digging for More Gold in Right Field in 2021 for the Rangers
- What to watch for as the Dallas Mavericks take on the Brooklyn Nets
- What does the immediate and distant future look like for the Mavericks and Kristaps Porzingis relationship?
- Mavericks simply don’t have enough for the fight in loss to the 76ers