(DALLAS, Texas) — On Friday, former two-time NBA All-Star and current Dallas Mavericks Vice President of Basketball Operations Michael Finley hosted his 3rd annual Michael Finley Foundation Charity Poker Challenge at Thanksgiving Tower in downtown Dallas. The entire team was in attendance, along with head coach Rick Carlisle and team owner Mark Cuban. Other notable attendees included former Mavs guard Jason Terry, Monta Ellis, Josh Howard, and Cedric Ceballos, former New York Knicks forward Charles Oakley, local news anchor Dale Hansen, former Dallas Cowboys linebacker Charles Haley, and former cornerback Ray Mickens.
All proceeds from the night benefitted the Giving Individuals Fundamental Tools 4 Success foundation (G.I.F.T.4.S.), the flagship program of The Michael Finley Foundation (TMFF). The former NBA champion, who played for 16 years and scored more than 2,000 points in his college career, founded G.I.F.T.4.S in July 2017 with 18 families; today, the Academy has 42 families. The program strives to uplift young people in the community to a place where success and leadership are familiar ideas in their lives. It is more than a student academy; it is a family endeavor.
“I feel very fortunate to be in a position to help others. The foundation gives me an opportunity to touch lives in my community,” said Finley. “My foundation team and I know this program will benefit many lives. The poker event is a way to have fun and support this extremely important initiative.”
Attendees of the event were awarded the opportunity to meet the team and hit some of the poker tables. Once the event began, those who had bought-in or donated were seated at each of the twenty tables, that included a current or former Mavericks player, including Cuban and Finley. Attendees played Texas hold’em and enjoyed complimentary food and drink while getting to interact and meet some of their favorite Mavs personalities.
Photos courtesy of Monica Borja/Dallas Mavericks
- DSF Top 20 Current Athletes: #19 Wings G Skylar Diggins-Smith
- Tough challenges ahead for FC Dallas in their quest for the playoffs
- Cowboys-Redskins rivalry re-ignites for a week; Dallas looks for 2-0 start
- DSF Top 20 Current Athletes: #20 Stars D John Klingberg
- Dallas Fanatic Pod Ep 107: Mike Fisher of 105.3 The Fan joins the show to talk Cowboys and Mavs; DSF reflects on 9/11
- A bizarre beginning ends with a Rougie roar as Rangers rise past Rays
- Dallas defense has long way to go to be elite
- Ep. 6: Cowboys-Giants, Dak/Kellen Moore, Antonio Brown Drama, Week 1 Recap, & Cowboys-Redskins Preview
- Dallas Cowboys: Week one stock report
- Photos: SMU vs UNT (September 7, 2019)