Did Jerry Jones just publicly utter the famous four words that are historically followed by a breakup?
Jerry took a moment during the NFL annual meeting on Tuesday to address the situation revolving around WR Dez Bryant.
“We need to talk,” said Jones. “I certainly have not had a thought about talking with him that did not anticipate being with us.”
The Cowboys recently signed veteran receivers Allen Hurns and Deonte Thompson, however, the added depth does not impact Dez’s situation, said Jones. Brice Butler’s free agent status and Terrance Williams‘ injury are both factors that Jones recognizes as an opportunity for competition in the position.
“I like our mix. I think these two guys we signed and what we might look at, at any level of the draft, plus what we might get worked out with Dez, gives us a good-looking receiver outlook,” said Jones.
His pending meeting with the eight year veteran is not a pressed matter but Jones expects “a really straight-forward, candid” conversation. Jones describes the relationship between the two as a mutual respect and free from awkwardness even when discussing awkward topics— i.e. money and roster status.
Dez makes it abundantly clear that he wishes to remain a Dallas Cowboy forever, but what’s it gonna take?
For the Dallas Cowboys owner it’s simple; production.
Currently counting for $16.5 million this season, Jones “can live with that kind of allocation at receiver” so long as the field production justifies the investment. Jones hopes to meet with Bryant by the end of next week.
It’s no secret that his numbers have declined within the last couple of years, but Bryant’s newest training sessions suggest he’s looking to extend the prime of his career.
Bryant plans to train with personal wide receivers coach and route guru David Robinson, who insists that Bryant continues to show explosiveness at his age (29,) but needs to awaken the muscle memory that allows him to sharpen his routes and techniques.
It seems that the effort to return as an elite receiver is there, but ultimately the numbers will do the real talking this season.
It’s also worth noting that the Cowboys could still potentially pick up an additional receiver in the upcoming draft. It’s not concrete, but Jones recognizes the pool of talent and will continue to oversee evaluations as we get closer to the draft.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Two key areas of inconsistency show as Mavs squander late lead over Nuggets
- Texas Rangers Fanatic Podcast Episode 20: Hip Hip Hooray with Jose Trevino
- Photos: Stars vs Predators – Jan. 25th, 2021
- Mavericks still searching for any bit of consistency as they host the Nuggets
- Stars Win Second in a Row Against the Predators
- Problems arise in Mavericks worst loss of the season to the Rockets
- Mavericks look to extend winning streak against the Rockets
- Luka and the Mavs make it happen when it counts in win over the Spurs
- How will the Rangers handle attendance in 2021 with Spring Training and the season approaching?
- Mavericks’ rookie Josh Green embraces the ‘dirty work’