On April 29th, the Dallas Cowboys will have a chance to add a premium defensive piece to a unit that was sorely lacking in talent last season.
As we near the opening night of the draft, the majority of draft analysts believe it is too good of a match between former Alabama cornerback Patrick Surtain II and Dan Quinn for Dallas to pass up with the 10th overall selection.
Surtain would not only give Quinn his big physical corner, but reunite him with former Crimson Tide teammate Trevon Diggs.
The last time the two shared the field together they enjoyed a 35-16 win over Michigan in the Citrus Bowl.
That season they combined for five interceptions, 16 pass deflections and three fumble recovers. The defense they were apart of held quarterbacks to an average of 187.2 yards passing, a 56% completion rate and at least one interception per game.
Surtain has drawn interest from the Cowboys organization. According to Dallas Morning News reporter Michael Gehlken, Surtain would be excited to reunite with former Alabama teammate Trevon Diggs if selected by the Cowboys.
“(Trevon) Diggs, he’s my brother for life,” Surtain said. “Just lining up with him again, it would be a special feeling. …It’d just be like another day here in Alabama.”
The Cowboys selected Diggs in the second round of the 2020 NFL Draft. Diggs made appeared in 12 games (11 starts) for the Cowboys as a rookie. He recorded 58 tackles, three interceptions and 14 passes defended.
Diggs will likely lead the revamped Cowboys defense in 2021. The Cowboys hired Dan Quinn to be the defensive coordinator for the upcoming campaign. Quinn likes to use multiple cornerback schemes dating back to his days with the Seattle Seahawks and the Atlanta Falcons as a coach.
Surtain has the ability to play in any defensive alignment. He recorded 37 tackles, seven passes defended, one forced fumble and one interception last season. He allowed just 21 completions for 273 yards all season. In his Alabama career, Surtain has 111 total tackles and four interceptions.
Alabama head coach Nick Saban called him one of the most instinctive players that he has coached.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- What to watch for as the Mavericks host the Cavs
- Mavericks hold on to force fourth-straight loss for Irving, Nets
- Photos: Mavs vs Nets (May 6, 2021)
- Five realistic free agents Dallas should consider post-draft
- NFL Draft Review: How much potential does Wright have to contribute?
- What to watch for as the Mavs look to knock off the Nets
- Getting to know the Dallas Cowboys third round picks: Osa Odighizuwa, Chauncey Golston and Nashon Wright
- NFL Draft Review: Golston gives size, length to remolded defense
- Three takeaways from the Mavericks big win over the Heat
- NFL Draft Review: Odighizuwa can be disruptive for interior line