The National Hockey League followed the lead of the National Basketball Association on Thursday afternoon by announcing the suspension of the rest of its 2019-20 season as a result of growing concerns regarding COVID-19.
The NHL season has officially been suspended. No surprise. There is hope to resume.
— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) March 12, 2020
There’s no word on when or if games would be set to resume. According to multiple sources, NHL executives, like those of NCAA and NBA circles, had discussed the possibility of holding games in empty arenas. The San Jose Sharks had even officially stated that their remaining home games in March would be played with only essential personnel in the arena.
The suspension means Tuesday’s Dallas Stars 4-2 loss to the New York Rangers at American Airlines Center was the last game for the foreseeable future. The Stars were scheduled to host the Florida Panthers in Dallas on Thursday night.
While it’s far from the most important aspect of the story, the stoppage of play comes at a good time for a Dallas team that had lost five straight games prior to the suspension, including four losses in the month of March. The NHL playoffs were scheduled to start April 8. Dallas is four points clear of a playoff spot, in the third and final playoff position in the Central Division.
As of now, it certainly seems like the NHL remains to getting the season back in action as soon as it is possible.
— NHL Public Relations (@PR_NHL) March 12, 2020
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Dallas Stars Fanatic Podcast: Stars take game two; Game three preview vs. Calgary
- Time is just about up for Rougned Odor in the Rangers lineup
- Oleksiak Pushes Stars Past Flames in Game Two
- Texas Rangers Fanatic Podcast Ep 7: A Rangers Off Day with SI’s Chris Halicke
- A couple takeaways as the Mavs fall to Suns, prepare for postseason
- FC Dallas stunned by Nashville SC in home return while pregame stories overshadow the match
- ¿Qué podemos esperar de los Cowboys?
- Dallas Cowboys add Everson Griffen
- Dak Prescott addresses the media for the first time this season
- Chris Woodward and Rangers coaching staff faced with tough decisions early on this season