Gary Bettman Selected to be on Presidential Advising Sports Committee
Here we are, just over a month since the NHL paused its season on March 12th. On Tuesday, Bettman was selected to be part of a committee who will be speaking with President Trump, in regards to re opening the economy.
The following day, he was asked by FOX Business Network what his thoughts were, “My guess at this point is, we’re probably going to be playing into the summer, which is something that we can certainly do…”
All of his responses were open ended, and it didn’t seem that he has any concrete ideas or dates for possible outcomes.
Player Opinions on Completing Regular Season vs Going Straight to Playoffs
Several big name guys have voiced their opinions, and a couple that stick out are Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin. Both superstars said they were fine with the NHL going straight to the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
However, Connor McDavid believes that a full season would be the most “fair,” and that the complete season would be what they’d, “obviously prefer.” This is interesting to note, as the Oilers are in a playoff spot, and not lobbying for a position. In a more extended quote he said:
“I don’t think we can just step into playoffs, Game 1, Calgary comes to Edmonton, and guys are just running around killing each other and haven’t played a game in two months…We want to keep guys healthy and we want to make sure everyone’s up and ready to play some playoff hockey.”
If the NHL thinks that the players are not at extremely high risk of injury by going straight into Game One of the playoffs, they’re in for a rude awakening. At the same time, you have to consider next season.
If the league decided to go to into the summer and finish the season, before the playoffs, how far back would next season need to be pushed? Players safety has to continue to be the number one priority right now, and the offseason is greatly needed for rest and, unfortunately, surgery for many players.
As of right now, it doesn’t appear any quick decisions are going to be made. For now, enjoy this condensed version of the 2020 Winter Classic:
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Mavericks look to extend winning streak against the Rockets
- Luka and the Mavs make it happen when it counts in win over the Spurs
- How will the Rangers handle attendance in 2021 with Spring Training and the season approaching?
- Mavericks’ rookie Josh Green embraces the ‘dirty work’
- Three things to watch for as the Mavericks travel to San Antonio
- Reactions after Mavs snap three-game losing streak against Pacers
- Mavericks visit the Pacers as both teams fight through major injuries
- Three takeaways as the depleted Mavericks lose their third straight to Toronto
- Dallas Stars Fanatic Podcast: Stars enter 2021 season with question marks after delayed start
- What to watch for as the Mavericks look to bounce back against Toronto