Tuesday night is going to be tough
Yes, there is another game scheduled before the Mavs home finale against Phoenix. But much like this one tonight, does it even matter? To the tankers and standings vultures, sure. But this entire season served as ticking clock to all Mavs fans, counting down to what will take place on Tuesday night.
It honestly felt disrespectful to have Dirk out there with those guys on the floor. Nothing against them, I’m sure they’re great, but Dirk is so distinguished. It felt beneath him to be out there in a meaningless game with a cast of fringe NBA players and guys who probably won’t be around next year. And in spite of those things, there was still a reason to enjoy this one: Dirk.
The Maverick’s first bucket was actually the highlight of the game. Dirk, usually a pop guy, ran up to set an on-ball screen for Courtney Lee, but quickly slipped out of there leaving an unsuspecting Ivan Rabb stuck in mud. Lee quickly whipped it to Dirk, who took about the slowest gather you ever will see, and went up and flushed with two hands. The crowd and Mavericks bench went berserk, as Dirk hung on the rim for a beat to admire his work, like an artists stepping away from his canvas.
DIRK DUNKED!!! 😤😤😤 pic.twitter.com/3px0yGXk0e
— Dallas Mavericks (@dallasmavs) April 6, 2019
“I was so hyped,” Dirk said jokingly of his dunk. “I didn’t know if I should hang up there, slap the glass and get a technical.”
Sprinkle in a couple vintage fade-aways, a few trailing threes, and you have have a fun Dirk game despite the team getting blasted by the skeleton of the Memphis Grizzlies.
Every touch, every shot, and every basket are filled with excitement and electricity. It’s bittersweet knowing that we only get to experience this one more time. People grew up on Dirk, myself included. He’s all we’ve ever known in the world of Mavs basketball.
That’s what makes this so hard. A fear of the unknown. A few seasons ago, it was downright terrifying. But now under the guidance of two young stars like Luka Doncic and Kristaps Porzingis, the franchise and fan base finally have a post Dirk direction. They now can let their guy ride off into the sunset, and the celebration of that come Tuesday night will certainly run everyone connected to Dirk and the franchise through a gauntlet of emotions. Love, sadness, and happiness being chief among them.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Predicting the 2021 Texas Rangers Roster Configuration: Outfield and DH
- Late game miscues stand out as Mavericks fall to the Bucks in Milwaukee
- Texas Rangers Fanatic Podcast Episode 19: The holidays are not over w/ Wes Benjamin
- As Kristaps Porzingis returns, the Mavericks are poised to take the league by storm
- A couple takeaways from The Mavericks 104-93 win over the Hornets
- What to watch for as short-handed Mavericks face the Hornets
- Mark Cuban is open to hosting vaccinated healthcare workers for free at Mavs games later this season
- Predicting the 2021 Texas Rangers Roster Configuration: Infield and Catcher
- Five plays that defined the Dallas Cowboys 2020 season
- The return of Porzingis? Unanswered COVID questions? Mavs/Pelicans bring a ton to the table on Monday